MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by Cards »

Even if the chances of landing a kid like this are low, we have to develop a relationship with him and let him know that he is on our radar. We absolutely have to go after local talent if high level and the right fit.

Agree Wags, given his age and the fact that he is likely still growing and developing coordination to go with his frame. he looks great in this clip.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Musa Jallow a 6ft5 SG looks very impressive.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:Even if the chances of landing a kid like this are low, we have to develop a relationship with him and let him know that he is on our radar. We absolutely have to go after local talent if high level and the right fit.
Yeah, when it comes to local kids, even ones that seem to be a better fit for a higher level, it always pays to do due diligence, just in case they want to put staying home over other things. Speedy, Agudio and Jenkins could have played elsewhere, but HU cultivated early relationships with them and they all ended up at HU.

Otherwise, the local talent you might have to settle for is something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB7K66dyJYw
Cards

Post by Cards »

Otherwise, the local talent you might have to settle for is something like this:
[/quote]
Hah! As with most fathers, it reminds me of me (20 years ago) when I got my 5 year old son the same type (I think it was Tyco) of hoop! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Polito

Post by Polito »

wags, I'm curious if you can find out through the relationship you have there whether this young man and/or his father would truly consider HU as a legit place for him? And I don't mean one of those 'oh yeah sure it's so early I'm "considering" everyone' deal - those are bs - I mean is he of the right mindset and character that he understands biggest is not always best, and you go for best FIT - would he sincerely put HU in his top 5 even with top P5 offers?

It's not always so much HU going after a guy, it's sometimes whether that player and/or their key family/influencers would treat HU as a serious contender - I'm all for HU shooting big, you all know that, but I also have no interest in wasting time on kids that won't even consider you unless you're a big time P5 - it goes both ways

If you get a chance and feel comfortable asking, I would love to know straight from a clearly high level players mouth, and his immediate family
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:
Hah! As with most fathers, it reminds me of me (20 years ago) when I got my 5 year old son the same type (I think it was Tyco) of hoop! :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Funny you should say that because I saw Isaiah play years ago when he was about that age (I think around 6 yrs old) in a kids game at MSG. He actually hit at a 3 in that game!

I went through a few of those hoops. They were great. We'd put one at one end of the floor in the basement, but there was a wall at the other, so I had to get creative. I took my dads small fishing net, cut a hole in the bottom, and used weights from a barbell set to hold the handle down on top on an air conditioner that was in the wall. And perfect, full court! I also used some chalk to draw the 3-point lines, mid-court line & circle, and for the 'scoreboard"... Lite Brite, with of course labels removed from various Pepsi or Coke bottles or other products that were taped around the Lite Brite scoreboard to make it look more authentic, with "advertisements." My brother fouled me on a fast break during one game, and we put a hole in the wall behind the Tyco hoop. We covered it with a poster for three days before my Dad discovered it. He was furious. Only about that though. The fishing net, he understood. lol
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:wags, I'm curious if you can find out through the relationship you have there whether this young man and/or his father would truly consider HU as a legit place for him? And I don't mean one of those 'oh yeah sure it's so early I'm "considering" everyone' deal - those are bs - I mean is he of the right mindset and character that he understands biggest is not always best, and you go for best FIT - would he sincerely put HU in his top 5 even with top P5 offers?

It's not always so much HU going after a guy, it's sometimes whether that player and/or their key family/influencers would treat HU as a serious contender - I'm all for HU shooting big, you all know that, but I also have no interest in wasting time on kids that won't even consider you unless you're a big time P5 - it goes both ways

If you get a chance and feel comfortable asking, I would love to know straight from a clearly high level players mouth, and his immediate family
His Dad told me that as of now all offers are on the table, with it still being pretty early Although, as of now, HU has yet to contact. Would like to think they know about him (if doing due diligence, they should, since especially since he's a LI product), but not sure they do.
garyg

Post by garyg »

So shoot them an email WAGS...you can name players, coaching staff can not until player has signed LOI
Wags

Post by Wags »

garyg wrote:So shoot them an email WAGS...you can name players, coaching staff can not until player has signed LOI
Well, his Dad told me today that schools like Hofstra, Stony Brook, etc. are off the radar for now.

He said Isaiah's considered Top 25 nationally for his class and is drawing serious interest from Arizona, Florida and Stanford, and his Dad has spoken to Jay Wright about him. The interest isn't as strong yet on Nova's part, but they've already sent people to watch him play. St. John's and Wake Forest were heavily interested a while ago, but even that seems too low for him at this point. As you saw in the clips, he moves really well for a kid his size (6-8), he's only a sophomore and there's a chance he could still grow a little bit more. As of now, schools can only contact Isaiah and his Dad through a third party, but they can start contacting directly as of June 15th. It's a longshot, but Hofstra should reach out then if only because he's a Long Island kid.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Braithwaite drawing interest

Center Moriches’ Sean Braithwaite (Class of 2019) has received interest from Hofstra and St. Peter’s, according to Red Devils and LI Elite coach Nick Thomas. Steve Pikiell’s staff at Stony Brook also had expressed interest, but new coach Jeff Boals and Co. have not reached out yet.

The 6-4 Braithwaite, who turned 15 in January, played every position from point guard to center as a freshman for the Red Devils’ varsity squad and averaged 13 points, eight rebounds and six assists.
Polito

Post by Polito »

HU staff pursuing '18 4* PG Markquis Nowell out of Bishop Loughlin - THIS is the kind of player HU and all of us fans are looking to land to help take this program to the next level

https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/7 ... 2282037248

Talk about a STUD - small, but a flat out a killer on the court

His height may be just what keeps HU in the game, and he isn't expected to grow much more - this young man would be a star in the CAA, like a Monmouth's Justin Robinson for HU, except likely even better. GET HIM SPEEDY !!
Cards

Post by Cards »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsZBq07fxVE

this kid Nowell is an absolute pleasure to watch!!!! Kinda guy who makes bball FUN. :D
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

2018 trio visiting this week. It would be pretty cool if we could snag Charles Pride solely because of his last name.

Josh Newman ‏@Joshua_Newman
Visits this week for NY Jayhawks '18 trio Frankie Policelli/Charles Pride/Samba Diallo

Temple, St. Joe's, Iona, Stony Brook, Hofstra, UConn

https://twitter.com/Joshua_Newman/statu ... 9901044736
Polito

Post by Polito »

Just about to post this, great stuff - all 3 are players, talented and good size for position (1 6'3 CG/SG, and 2 6'6/6'7 WFs)

Very glad to see more and more visits reported, and from impact guys... now just gotta get some commits!!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Glad to see the staff are doing their jobs. Now for the close??
Polito

Post by Polito »

'18 6'6 wing Christian Hinckson visiting tomorrow - from John Bowne HS, and NY RENS - HU seems to have a very good relationship with that RENS AAU program... lot of talent that flows through there, can pay a lot of dividends now and in the future

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/ ... 1945266177
Polito

Post by Polito »

staff after big impact here too...
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Highly doubt Nowell comes to Hofstra. By the time he signs, he will have letters from every school in the country. We don't have a chance with him realistically.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Talent-wise agreed, he's a stud and has some solid offers so far...

But he's still 5'7 and it isn't like Kentucky is knocking down his door - and if he doesn't grow, there is no way in hell he ends up with any real PT at a P5 program. They land the same to better talent with 6'2-6'5 height at the point.

As I mentioned originally, his height might keep places like HU in play...at best A10 - but if he hits 6'0+ forget it lol.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Look at Monmouth's point guard...don't think he's even 5-7 but he can play and dish...