MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by ProudofPride »

Kenny Wormley is on an official visit today. I believe he's the Siena transfer.
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlJohnsonSpo ... 4622021632
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wormley is actually a JC kid now, transferring from Indian Hills CC...looks like he had a pretty good year there. Coach Mihalich is good friends with Siena coach Jimmy Patsos, so maybe there is something there...Would be nice to have a 6-4 PG...we could use some size across the board.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Don't see that HUSID, very underwhelming, mediocre or less at Siena and same in Juco. This is not the direction HU needs to be going. 6'4 is great, but 8.8pts, 2.2assists, 2.7rebounds is not the answer at the 1, and will in no way shape or form elevate HU to the dance. And that right there is the ONLY thing that matters. the 1 and 4 are THE most important positions of need in this class and MUST be top gets. Not hopefuls, TOP GETS.

Kirk has also eliminated HU from consideration. There are TONS of high talent high major transfers hitting the market that have NY ties, and even that HU recruited at one point.

This staff better step it up, time is running out. No interest in panic or no-choice signings. Sure hope Wormely is just one of SEVERAL - staff spent a lot of time and energy down in Kansas, there better be a heckuva lot more coming out of it than just this. I expect to see at least one TOP Juco signing.

FYI, the final 2017 Juco Top 100 came out: http://www.jucorecruiting.com/2017jucotop100

Names of interest for HU:

- Jeromy Rodriguez #16 (this is one *I* feel HU should be all over, and may have been at one time, but nothing recent - comp will be very tough though)
- Harrison Curry #45 (feels like a MUST GET)
- Deishuan Booker #90 (everything HU needs at the 1)

Tripp, McKnight Jr, Roundtree, Wormley, and Jamal Allen (if there is still any interest) nowhere to be found. This should gives major pause. There is absolutely no reason to be after guys at that level who are not immediate CAA impact at the top of the game. And if you're not at least top 100 in Juco, that raises big questions and concerns.

If HU is going the Juco route, they don't need a project. No time for that nonsense with just 2 yrs. Juco better be studs from day 1.

FYI UNCW (currently) has TWO top 100 juco's already signed for the '17 class. Time will tell if they hold, but HU must match this and take nothing less than the same level of talent.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Hey Polito, Wormley started virtually every game for Siena as a freshman playing the point and was one of the top 2 or 3 at his JC which went to the nationals...Just because his scoring was 8.8 points does not mean he isn't an impactful player...all reports say his DEFENSE is outstanding...something we all know we can use.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hofstra should be looking to add a higher level talent then Wormley. Wormley is not the answer at the 1...
Captain

Post by Captain »

A couple of months ago we were looking at a guard from Philly and there was a lot of grumbling on this board about who is this no name white kid from Philly? At the time, I said if Mihalich and staff including Speedy, know anything they know guards. The kid had to settle for a scholly from Villanova.
I think they believe Wormley may be a good answer along with Buie. I don't believe they are looking to settle.
With Pemba, JWF and Ray you need a good distributor and both Buie and Wormley may fit that description. Not everybody needs to be the go to scorer. The kid from Georgia (Goldwire) might fit this description as well. Trust your talent evaluators guys...plus as someone else here said, he is tall and defends just like Goldwire apparently does.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

I hope our staff is aware of Grant Shepherd from Monteverde Academy. Didn't see him floating many offers out there, and when I brought his name up here, his recruiting was underwhelming. I think the kid is a talent, and could really help the program
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Hofstra wrote:I hope our staff is aware of Grant Shepherd from Monteverde Academy. Didn't see him floating many offers out there, and when I brought his name up here, his recruiting was underwhelming. I think the kid is a talent, and could really help the program
Send the coach an e-mail. Nothing wrong with bringing a recruit to the attention of the coach.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I see that Montverde Prep will play at noon on Thursday march 30 on ESPNU if anybody wants to see Shephard play.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Captain wrote:I see that Montverde Prep will play at noon on Thursday march 30 on ESPNU if anybody wants to see Shephard play.
Saw him live in person this year. I think he has talent, most likely going to a bigger school, but I just haven't seen much buzz. They have a stellar guard on their team, I think only a sophomore, RJ Barret.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Actually just saw he committed to Richmond. I went to the Dicks National website. Damn. They have VCU, UNC, Albany, Richmond, and Pitt on their team.

That tournament should be some amazing basketball.
Polito

Post by Polito »

HU offered.

Don't mean to knock him, but this just doesn't seem like the right caliber. HU is in desperate need of a STUD point who can truly lead. This feels like a lazy offer. Does he have any other offers? If not that is a major red flag for a guy who has D1 starting experience and plays on a high profile Juco traditional power team that made the tourney.

He's not the top 2 or 3 in anything, national or IH, except for shooting 40% from 3, which is solid. He's not even the best PG on his team, that goes to #38 6'3 Chris McNeal. 2.2 assists on a talented IH team? That stinks. 4.6 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.8 assists at Siena? And that's going to lead HU to the top in the CAA? C'mon.

Isn't just about scoring to me, his numbers are weak across the board wherever he's been: doesn't score, doesn't create, doesn't rebound. Will take your word that he's a strong defender, and of course agree HU needs that. But what else?

Being a starter means he can handle the rock and run an offense. Important no doubt. But his numbers show he doesn't create (HU's biggest weakness and need in the position), doesn't score (no mismatches at 6'4?), and doesn't rebound (again, 6'4). He does not seem like a difference maker who can help HU go dancing next year, and THAT is what this class needs to help produce.

I sure hope that full force trip to Hutch produces a lot more than this, esp when the W landed TWO top 100's months ago. Right now I get the sense HU is whiffing on other true studs and has no choice because they waited until the last friggin minute.

Agree this staff has proven to have a great eye for talent and evals, especially with guards. But this one gives me pause. Is Speedy recruiting this one? If he isn't, I want no part of it. If he truly is, then I'll have defer to his judgement and wait and see.

He has at least has played in strong programs, and against strong competition, so that helps. But there is nothing about this player that screams all-conf impact leader. That is what HU needs at the 1 and 4. No excuses. I just don't see a former avg MAAC guy putting HU over the top in the CAA. There are TONS of talented players available of all types, why this one?

Look, the honeymoon is over for this staff - they are on the clock and under the microscope. Year 5 and it's make or break time for your credibility. Step it up and produce, period. For Juco, IMO, nothing less than top 100 if it's for the 1 or 4. Not building with them 4 yrs from now, it's about right NOW. Win or bust.

If they take him, I hope I'm wrong. One of the first recruits under JM that I am very underwhelmed by, which to be fair, is pretty good over 4 years 8-) . Still, I find this one odd and troubling.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Look at JWF's freshman numbers... this kid STARTED as a freshman at a good mid major and was one of the top players at a good JC...we should take him and add a freshman PG as well... Polito we can't have 13 super stars on the team. We need role players and a bench too!
Cards

Post by Cards »

I guess the biggest question we all have is how DB will perform next season, both from a physical standpoint and from a leadership PG role. If I knew the answer to both was a YES, then I would be fine with a "Wormley" as the other PG. Because we don't really know for sure how DB will perform, we need to get the best PG available. Maybe Wormley has been overlooked by many programs and he is that guy (we just don't know). As someone already mentioned, look at the kid who signed with Villanova - I and some others thought he was not a good prospect for HU (albeit based only on some 3 year old video). But HU staff and apparently Wright thought he was talented. I trust that Speedy and others can adequately judge the talent. Our offer to Wormley may simply be our effort to identify multiple options, all which meet our criteria, and hope to connect on one of the offers.

Just as important, we need to get the immediate impact 4. Curry would be good, as would be the Fordham kid. Unless we can get a better recruit (which staff should always be working towards) I would be OK with either of these.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID80 wrote:Look at JWF's freshman numbers... this kid STARTED as a freshman at a good mid major and was one of the top players at a good JC...we should take him and add a freshman PG as well... Polito we can't have 13 super stars on the team. We need role players and a bench too!
Completely agree; it may be tough to get a top level PG here since we have DB penciled in as the starter. And honestly JWF and EP aren't bad options to run the point for 10-15 minutes a game as well.

I think the impact 4 is a lot more important than another PG.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

@JucoRecruiting

Harrison Curry (6'7, SF/PF, 2017) of Pensacola State has committed to LA Tech
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Disappointing news on Curry...hope we have some more 4's in the wings
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

So far a disappointing start to spring recruiting.
garyg

Post by garyg »

So far I have only heard of guys making verbals elsewhere or crossing Hofstra off their lists...JAM & staff, you had better come thru on at least 2 of the 3 remaining scholarships