MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by garyg »

Think this kid may be a step down from some of the other PG's we are involved with.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

And more of a combo than a true PG.

garyg wrote:Think this kid may be a step down from some of the other PG's we are involved with.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Looks like we are casting a wide net. We're involved with a lot of kids. IMO we need to sign at least three in addition to Ray.
I would like to see a JC point guard, a legit 3 and a 4; I'll take Jerry in a heartbeat for the 4.
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80... if we sign 3 more in addition to Ray we are at the max of 13 scholarships right ??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Gary, will need to check. We were at 11, we lose two to graduation, makes it 9, so by my calculations, we have 4 open spots including Ray so yes that would make a full squad of 13 barring anyone leaving. Remains to be seen if we will get to 13 fulls.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

I think we'll most definitely be in the grad transfer market again this offseason for either PG or PF. We have a better chance of grabbing a starting-caliber 4 from that world, as Trueheart is not going to be the answer right away and Ty would be better served coming off the bench. I also see us taking a chance on a good 5th year PG if available... too much risk relying on DB.
Polito

Post by Polito »

No issue with the wide net, although I would really like to see some commits rather than just noise - I do not understand why this staff is always seemingly behind the 8 ball - most CAA programs, at least the top half ones, are way done with their '17 class, which means they are full court pressing '18 - HU meanwhile still has to dedicate major effort to the current class and will once again fall behind in timing for '18

It's a nasty cycle that needs to be corrected. There is no reason for this last minute frantic rush every year.

I thought the same initially about Jones being more of a backup, his offer list isn't crazy at this point, but upon further review he may be another underecruited rising stud - he is the #8 ranked prep player in Mass, #25 in New England - by comparison, Pemba was #8 in CT and #20 in NE. In HS in LA he was the #12 ranked player, had at least a UTEP offer, so this kid can play.

He plays for a top team, with a top P5 teammate, a future CofC guard teammate, and against absolute top P5 competition - and he has had a super year against them, just unloading on some big time opponents - one of the reasons I am a big fan of the NE prep players - they usually come ready to rock and another yr older. Pretty big time scorer, can play any guard spot, attacks the basket, hits from deep, and is a very efficient shooter. Has quick hands, nice handle, and of course athletic. Overall D I am not sure of.

Seems similar to Ray and JWF in some ways. Not a true point, but can certainly play the position. But HU needs a true. This is another guy who will look to score first and pass later - he seems like an explosive playmaker, so maybe he's an auto take due to that, but I also feel like HU has enough of that and really needs to focus on floor leaders.

Other challenge I have is he is 6'0-6'1 - HU continues to go after very small guards - granted they can ball, but the roster should only have so many of this height range - HU needs legit size, and if it's a 2/combo type player, the 6'2-6'4 range is much more valuable IMO.

Again, it's a wide net, no problem with that, that is responsible recruiting for the program - take the best you can get at the positions of need. I just hope they are bringing in a true 1 (don't care about height here), an impact 4 (6'7-6'8), a legit 3 (6'5-6'6), and Ray. I don't think HU needs a PF right now, and I don't think any starter quality would come in this class anyway quite frankly.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Make or break year for JAM...He must come thru in this class for team to have real shot at CAA title...This is year number 5 coming up...I have my doubts about this class but JAM has 2-1/2 months to prove me wrong which I hope he does...
Captain

Post by Captain »

So with the snow day I spent some time looking for recent video of Jalen Ray. His team played Potomac Senior in the quarterfinals of the Virginia high school state championships. If you like you, can watch very high quality video of this game played at Hampton University. Ray has 2 other D-1 teammates, one headed to ODU and the other to Norfolk State.
Ray played within the system, shared the ball and scored 19 points in the victory. He played some point, drove the lane and dished nicely. A fine ball handler, a lefty and had a nose for the ball for defensive rebounding. Also made a nice jam under pressure. Like I said. he didn't take over this game but was a stat stuffer anyway. If you want to kill some time, google Hampton vs Potomac Senior basketball and you can see it for yourself. See if you see the resemblance to JWF.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Ray's HS coach said he was best player in state last season and the best player in state this season....let's hope he is right!
Polito

Post by Polito »

He made 1st team All-5A again.

All-State teams haven't been announced yet.

The team that knocked Hampton out of the state playoffs, Bethel (these two battled each other 5 times this year in total - great rivalry that went back and forth), lost to LC Bird in the 5A state championship.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Article on UNLV's recruitment of Jordan Goldwire
https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2017/mar ... f-point-g/
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

ProudofPride wrote:Article on UNLV's recruitment of Jordan Goldwire
Sounds like we're in the thick of it with him. Says he wants to visit us...
garyg

Post by garyg »

Gonna be real tough to beat out UNLV
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

If Ray is this good, just let JWF run the point. They just give him the ball and let him create half the time anyway.
Captain

Post by Captain »

One thing I noticed about Deron Powers this year was his uncanny ability to break a press on his own. As good as he was, Juanya wasn't as adept as Powers to get the ball upcourt.
If Buie comes back 100% he has a fine handle. My preference is Goldwire to have some size in the backcourt. Have a backcourt including Ray, Pemba, Buie JWF and a Goldwire and the guards can swarm for 40 minutes. Pretty nice!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Nice props for UNLV when a local newspaper is writing an article about a coveted recruit.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

daHUPride wrote:
Nice props for UNLV when a local newspaper is writing an article about a coveted recruit.
Yeh, just like Newsday LOL
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone get any feedback on how the Curry visit went??
garyg

Post by garyg »

NLI rapidly approaching as it begins on April 12th