MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by Polito »

agreed, it is, and it is awfully quiet out there in the public space gary.

which for HU, usually means somethin' is a brewin'... salivating to find out what!
garyg

Post by garyg »

With this staff things are usually quiet but not this quiet...hopefully you are right Polito...the more quiet the better...LOL...I have my doubts so JAM , prove me wrong!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Juco tournament in full force this week. A couple of guys playing that have been previously mentioned with HU hoops recruiting (like Tripp of South Plains).

Would imagine there's much needed value in either the juco or 5th year ranks for this class to come make an immediate impact next season. Or perhaps a combo of both.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Be assured that we have a major presence at the JUCO CHAMPIONSHIPS and that we are going after several impact juncos and transfers for the upcoming season
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID80 wrote:Be assured that we have a major presence at the JUCO CHAMPIONSHIPS and that we are going after several impact juncos and transfers for the upcoming season
Thanks for the confirmation HUSID. We really need help in the 1 and 4 spots. I see Tripp had 10 boards in his last JUCO Dance game. Pretty nice, but at 6'5" I see him as undersized in the CAA (I'm still hoping for Curry or an even better surprise guy for the 4 spot). We've offered lots of guys for the 1/2 spot. In his last JUCO Dance game, Booker had 14 assists. At 6'3", Booker would bring nice size to the PG spot.

Losing DP at 6' and BB at 6'2" while bringing in lets say a guy like Booker at 6'3" and Curry at 6'7" and Truehart at 6'8" and Ray would definitely provide more size which is woefully needed. I also think that would leave us still with an open scholarship spot for a surprise or a real stud (no matter the position). I just don't want us to bring in another 6'3"-6'5" guy to play the 3 or 4. With JWF and EP we are set at the 2/3 for a few more years. Focus on the other spots for this class.
garyg

Post by garyg »

You have any names for us HUSID80 ??
Captain

Post by Captain »

How about Chris Sengfelder from Fordham who will transfer out. A solid 6'7' player who rebounds and can shoot the 3.
Not sure if he is immediately eligible...just posted on Verbal commits site.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Sengfelder is scheduled to graduate this semester so he would have immediate eligibility I believe. (Had a 4.0 gpa this semester.) I like his game.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Kevin Marfo PF GWU is transferring, Hofstra recruited him.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/kevin-marfo
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Hans Barse - 6'9" Princeton transfering - Koon Part II?
Last edited by daHUPride on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Lots of kids hitting the graduate/transfer market. We have a real good history with these kids; Upshaw, Koon, etc. I would see us getting at least one, a PF most likely.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Sengfelder looks like he's worth going after. Good size, rebounds, shoots the 3. Was a starter for Fordham

Hans Barse has a history of knee injuries. Sat out 2015 season due to knee injury. Began 2016 season and injured knee in non conf schedule and missed rest of season.

Marfo barely played at GW. Have no idea why hes transferring, but it may simply be because hes looking for more PT. I assume he would have to sit a year, which would work well with our current situation.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yup, transfers popping up all over the place now as players - HU should have a BEVY of talent to recruit from, whether transfer/5th yr/juco.

Marfo was a talented recruit for HU at one point, certainly worth a re-look.

Travis Atson is another, leaving Tulsa after his first year (I mean who the heck advised him to go there to begin with...) - talented guy, Brooklyn to ND Prep, HU was after at one time like many others.

Some UNCW fallout starting as well, '17 6'6 wing Hughes opening up recruitment...
Polito

Post by Polito »

And Kirk is visiting St Bona this weekend.

If HU is going all in on the JUCO front this week being down there for the tourney, they better come back with commit(s). Some nice talent down there, so I'm certainly fine with that, but this effort must produce results.

The Final Four is set with South Plains (Tripp) taking on Eastern Fl St, and Northwest Fl State vs Hutchinson

NWFS has NJ's Jeromy Rodriguez, I believe an HU target at one time, and coached by former HU staff Steve DeMeo - guy has done a tremendous job there, wonder if he'll be on to D1 again soon
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Polito wrote:And Kirk is visiting St Bona this weekend.

If HU is going all in on the JUCO front this week being down there for the tourney, they better come back with commit(s). Some nice talent down there, so I'm certainly fine with that, but this effort must produce results.

The Final Four is set with South Plains (Tripp) taking on Eastern Fl St, and Northwest Fl State vs Hutchinson

NWFS has NJ's Jeromy Rodriguez, I believe an HU target at one time, and coached by former HU staff Steve DeMeo - guy has done a tremendous job there, wonder if he'll be on to D1 again soon
I wouldn't mind have DeMeo back here.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Appears there are a ton of options out there so up to JAM & staff to land best options for Hofstra, no excuses...talent is there, JAM must land some of it
Cards

Post by Cards »

Number of available transfers are growing by leaps and bounds. Lots of big men that HU recruited out of high school now on the transfer roles. Marfo from GW, Enoch from UConn, Santos from USF, and of course the dream of Govan :D . Any of these guys could be a nice transition after the RK and HS days. Santos could probably even play the 4, somewhat like an adala moto did for Towson. I know and agree that we need impact guys for next year, but we gotta have guys in the pipeline and any of these would be a nice addition.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I would hold one scholly for the right transfer who sits out next season but other two schollies must be used on guys that can have impact next season in addition to Ray
Cards

Post by Cards »

garyg wrote:I would hold one scholly for the right transfer who sits out next season but other two schollies must be used on guys that can have impact next season in addition to Ray
Completely agree garyg. Bring in a 1 and a 4 that can have an impact next year - even if they are one and done guys (like the Fordham 6'7" guy). That would give us Ray, Truehart, and 2 new guys. That's four players replacing the 2 we are losing for next season and it still keeps one open for the impact transfer who has to sit a year.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I like what I have been hearing about the Fordham kid...6-7 and close to 240 does not hurt either...being two different types of players this kid and Truesmart could provide a nice contrast at the 4 spot....