MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by garyg »

Cards wrote:Big man transfer to clog the middle and clear the boards. This is the guy we could use (and he would have to sit next season with 3 to play after that).

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jethro-tshisumpa
Dream on Cards, dream on !!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

garyg wrote:
Cards wrote:Big man transfer to clog the middle and clear the boards. This is the guy we could use (and he would have to sit next season with 3 to play after that).

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jethro-tshisumpa
Dream on Cards, dream on !!!
I know, I know :( :( :(
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

I trust the staff that they know they need to sign 2 or 3 projects for 1 flier to pan out - I am OK with that when we also sign 1 or 2 studs per class.
My detective work finds this NY/big one and done transfer out there - http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/miles-banks - don't know a thing about him other then unsigned, DI, big and from NY.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I am not interested in nor ok with this staff signing 2-3 projects in a class. That is in no way shape or form ok, nor what they are paid for.

ONE per class, period. This isn't football, there are only a handful or less ships available each yr - if this program expects to ever get back to the dance, it needs to recruit as such.

A class that is half full of projects, or more, is a good way to build a disaster that will never sniff a ladder to cut nets from.

TALENT is not a nice-to-have, it is a MUST.

And I'm not saying they are doing that or not signing talent, just expressing the expectations for a D1 program that wants to win in the CAA. I don't think you meant it quite that way either daHUPride, don't take this as an attack on your post :) but I have clearly taken issue with the performance of this staff last year, and I am starting to see some things in recruiting I don't like, so the expectations should be very clear.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

We could still use another starter-caliber PF. Stating the obvious, I know.
Cards

Post by Cards »

joeg1 wrote:We could still use another starter-caliber PF. Stating the obvious, I know.
And lets not forget that we have KW and DB to play the point - they will not be on the court at the same time. That leaves JWF and EP to handle the 2 and 3 with JR as the backup. I know that those two guys will be playing 35 minutes per game, but what if one gets hurt (God forbid) or gets into foul trouble for a game. Is JR our only option??? I guess if EP had to miss some time maybe MR could be a fill in at the 3. We basically have 5 guards and they are not all interchangeable.

My wish for this years recruiting class is to pick up a transfer big to sit and learn the system, and to pick up a 6-4 to 6-6 combo guard who could fill in at the 2 or 3 as needed.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Cards wrote:
joeg1 wrote:We could still use another starter-caliber PF. Stating the obvious, I know.
And lets not forget that we have KW and DB to play the point - they will not be on the court at the same time. That leaves JWF and EP to handle the 2 and 3 with JR as the backup. I know that those two guys will be playing 35 minutes per game, but what if one gets hurt (God forbid) or gets into foul trouble for a game. Is JR our only option??? I guess if EP had to miss some time maybe MR could be a fill in at the 3. We basically have 5 guards and they are not all interchangeable.

My wish for this years recruiting class is to pick up a transfer big to sit and learn the system, and to pick up a 6-4 to 6-6 combo guard who could fill in at the 2 or 3 as needed.
We saw DB and powers on the court at the same time last year. I agree it won't happen often if at all this year with DB and wormley but I think it's still a solid lineup if needed. There are only 13 total scholarships and you figure you got at least 2 either open or red shirting each year. So you really can only be about 2 deep at each position. And like you said MR is probably considered the backup 3.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Buie and Wormley together at times could certainly be interesting...I could go for that in the right spots - only challenge is at least one of them needs to actually score. I'm not convinced either is enough of a threat yet - need to see some big improvement there, but if one or both can put some points up, that combo could be an impact at times.

Bottom line is, the success of this team will run through the point, period end of story. Regardless of Gustys, or JWF, or anyone else, this is all about the PG. The role must be filled by the right type of player. It's not just a talented scoring guard who can defend, although that is fantastic - it's ALL, read A L L about creating and dishing in this system and with the player strengths HU has.

If neither master that, this will be beyond frustrating. If one or both excel there, this team can be dangerous... enough so to win it all.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:I am not interested in nor ok with this staff signing 2-3 projects in a class. That is in no way shape or form ok, nor what they are paid for.

ONE per class, period. This isn't football, there are only a handful or less ships available each yr - if this program expects to ever get back to the dance, it needs to recruit as such.

A class that is half full of projects, or more, is a good way to build a disaster that will never sniff a ladder to cut nets from.

TALENT is not a nice-to-have, it is a MUST.

And I'm not saying they are doing that or not signing talent, just expressing the expectations for a D1 program that wants to win in the CAA. I don't think you meant it quite that way either daHUPride, don't take this as an attack on your post :) but I have clearly taken issue with the performance of this staff last year, and I am starting to see some things in recruiting I don't like, so the expectations should be very clear.
Not taking it as an attack at all - always appreciated Polito views and enthusiasm. My disappointment is that we never followed through with recruiting in quantity or quality as we did out of the gate with JAM early recruiting years, in:
2013/14 (5 players) - D Nesmaith, B. Bernardi, J Green, A Tanksley (all good DI quality transfers) and J Robinson
2014/15 (4 players) - M Nicols, I Djambo and R Gustys and A Walker (dispite all not being minute players all had high ceilings)
2015/16 (3 players) - D Koon, D Buie and JFW (all contributors in one season or another)
2016/17 (1 player) - E Pemberton (jury out on Truehart)
I would have thought our toughest recruiting classes under JAM would have been the early years and we'd be getting more and better recruits at this stage. So I think my expectations are in line with you, Polito.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Tareq Coburn is transferring to Hofstra from St Bonaventure, will sit one year and play 3. Always nice to see the local kids come back home.
https://twitter.com/tareqcoburn/status/ ... 6386021376

Here's a good article on him entering his freshman year. http://www.a10talk.com/freshman-focus-t ... naventure/
garyg

Post by garyg »

Good Morning Captain...anymore input from your contact on who may still be leaving and what staff may still bring in ??
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

ProudofPride wrote:Tareq Coburn is transferring to Hofstra from St Bonaventure, will sit one year and play 3. Always nice to see the local kids come back home.
https://twitter.com/tareqcoburn/status/ ... 6386021376

Here's a good article on him entering his freshman year. http://www.a10talk.com/freshman-focus-t ... naventure/
from Cardozo. another lefty. most things out there say he could be a late bloomer.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Late bloomer and I think the year sitting out will be beneficial for him...only started playing basketball in 8th grade....has reputation of being hard worker who improves every year
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Bona fans are mixed on him leaving, although all seem to agree that he is good quality person and comes from a good family. There's some speculation that he wanted to be somewhere with a medical school. http://bonabandwagon.proboards.com/thre ... ving-bonas

Perfectly fine with this addition, but now we just have to find one that's about 7 inches taller.
Captain

Post by Captain »

garyg wrote:Good Morning Captain...anymore input from your contact on who may still be leaving and what staff may still bring in ??
No more info but I will tell you that like Jamal Robinson, my source even told me where this unnamed player would be going so I think unless something has happened in the interim, one more player will be gone. (I am not naming the player because it has not been announced and I guess it ain't over until it's over.) I have been checking Verbal Commits and see nothing about our player or the potential landing school of the player. For the mystery school think Charles Oakley I believe.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Another high character guy.. 6' 5 guard who plays defense. I like where Joe is going with the Coburn and Wormley pickups. Perimeter defense should be much improved and we won't be undersized in the back court for the next few years.
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOVE THIS

Fantastic get by the staff, kudos to them for a great job on this one. Super fit all around: talented player with huge upside at a key position, great size and ability for the 2 or 3, high character and family background/support, excellent student (3.6ish), local product from a very good program/coach, played with and against strong D1 competition, and has the chance to continue development next yr to give HU 3 playing.

Hits the 3 and plays strong D - can be an impact player in this league. Streaky, hence his level, so there will be games he doesn't connect. But has a beautiful shot, and can drain them in a fashion that when he is on he can win games. Matter of fact, I believe he was a key to St Bonas win at HU no less.

Bona fans are mostly disappointed in his departure, felt he had a chance to be a good one. THIS is a great pickup for HU. The mid to low A10 level is exactly what HU should be pulling to win the CAA.

Apparently he was a near Drexel lock, which caused a lot of schools to back off, but something went awry and they didn't land him. Even with that, offers from there, St Bon, Fordham, Monmouth, FDU, Robert Morris, etc. Top 10 NYC player, remember his recruitment and play - was hoping HU would go after him originally - glad to see he has finally come HOME!

Now land a 6'9 CAA-impacting behemoth to redshirt and crush the center spot post-Gustys, and my faith/belief will be somewhat restored in this offseason. All comes down to results on the floor of course, this is just the preliminary, but finish this recruiting season with a big body beast and I will be very pleased.
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80...based on what you have been hearing is there still a good chance that we land a center transfer that will redshirt next season ???
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

As Joe says, "We're ALWAYS recruiting."
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Do we know if the dutchmen Kevin Schutte is a walk on or scholarship player?