MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
DCDUTCH

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by DCDUTCH »

Verbal Commits.

7/1/2017 - JUCO SF Tyquone Greer (6-6, 210, 3★) | Position Rank: 44 will be transferring to Ferris State. - Per JUCO Advocate
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Thats great news..He wasn't D1 capable..Frees up a spot..Best of luck
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

The coaching staff has to make better recruiting decisions going forward.
garyg

Post by garyg »

If another player transfers out of Hofstra as rumored on this board [Walker ??] that will leave us with only 10 eligible scholarship players on next seasons roster. Hopefully staff will land at least one additional player who will be eligible to play next season ??
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Not surprised of Greer leaving. Wish him luck.
Walker, haven't heard anything - but can never figure that one out. Always thought he should have got SOME minutes; without any playing time always thought he'd transfer already - maybe waiting to graduate so he can transfer and play immediately - just guessing.
Obviously need a big or two. Preferably one that has more then a one and done and can play after Gustys and Sabaty leave.
Captain

Post by Captain »

If Walker stays he would not have a grad year to play since he never red shirted. If he leaves and drops down to a D2 school he can play immediately, if D1 he would need to sit out.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Responded to the Greer thread too, but this is welcome news for both sides, and exactly what needs to happen.

For Walker, if he's graduated, then we should thank him for his time, and he should move on as well. Would be best for both sides.

HU staff needs to fill this roster with CAA-championship level talent - having 2 more spots to do so is a positive in my book. Let's lock up some big time bigs asap!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Polito wrote:Responded to the Greer thread too, but this is welcome news for both sides, and exactly what needs to happen.

For Walker, if he's graduated, then we should thank him for his time, and he should move on as well. Would be best for both sides.

HU staff needs to fill this roster with CAA-championship level talent - having 2 more spots to do so is a positive in my book. Let's lock up some big time bigs asap!
Fully agree but easier said than done.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Captain wrote:If Walker stays he would not have a grad year to play since he never red shirted. If he leaves and drops down to a D2 school he can play immediately, if D1 he would need to sit out.
My thought was MAYBE AW is taking courses now, over the summer, and potentially accelerating his graduation date to 07/2017 - freeing him up to transfer ASAP and still immediately play at a new school - I have no knowledge of this but if AW was my son, I would have think about that to keep his options open.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

B. A. ZWOLLE‏
@BAZwolle

Kevin Schutte is ready for his next step. He signed with @HofstraMBB

Kevin Schutte C
Current Team: N/A
Born: Mar 18, 1998 (19 years old)
Nationality: Netherlands
Height: 6-8 (203cm) Weight: N/A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlLLLGe--uc
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Told you all we'll have a NEW Flying Dutchman soon!
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

I hope he is a walk-on. He looks slow and no hops.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Could not find any info on Schutte.

only released info:

http://www.gohofstra.com/news/2017/6/6/ ... s-iii.aspx
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:Told you all we'll have a NEW Flying Dutchman soon!
Who is this kid ???
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

bobe13 wrote:Could not find any info on Schutte.

only released info:

http://www.gohofstra.com/news/2017/6/6/ ... s-iii.aspx
Letter of intents?
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Dwight Schrute? I thought he committed to Dunder Mifflin.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Kid plays on the Dutch National Junior team. Coaches high on him although he is a "project." Will, I believe redshirt next season to get ready for when Rok and Hunter leave.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Project indeed.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'm gonna need help with this one, Euro is so difficult to decipher - tried to dig a little, but honestly I have no idea what I'm looking at with the Netherlands lol

His video shows a couple of nice things: moves well with and without the ball, rebounds well, defends well, has a decent hook around the basket, seems to get in the right positions, PASSES the ball, and low and behold appears to be able to hit FT's.

BUT I have no idea what kind of competition this is???

Agree that he is not that fast and not super athletic, but may have at least enough of both and he does seem to have some skill and upside. Problem is you don't typically see many Euro's do much that aren't from Lithuania...is the Netherlands even a reasonable assessment of his actual talent? I am assuming, and hoping, they have evaluated him in game situations IN PERSON, against real competition.

I'm ok with a work in progress if they can land another big who isn't. And I think they need to - this is not a replacement for Rok and Hunter - those two are heavyweight beasts, and though Schutte is 6'8, he is not that - this team still needs a 6'9ish 240 pound mountain that can move - THAT is a replacement, and IMO a requirement for the CAA.

Hoping there is one more spot available to provide that opportunity...
Cards

Post by Cards »

Big man transfer to clog the middle and clear the boards. This is the guy we could use (and he would have to sit next season with 3 to play after that).

www.verbalcommits.com/players/jethro-tshisumpa