MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:None of the new guys will redshirt...I know we are still looking for a 4 or 5 to sit out for next season...Most coaches like to keep one scholarship open just in case...you can all do the math
But right now we do not have a scholarship open do we ??? We have used all 13
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

garyg wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:None of the new guys will redshirt...I know we are still looking for a 4 or 5 to sit out for next season...Most coaches like to keep one scholarship open just in case...you can all do the math
I'll do the math right now. We have 13 players that we know of; HUSID says we are looking for 1 more player which brings us to 14. HUSID also says most coaches like to keep 1 scholarship open. This brings us to 15. We are only allowed 13 scholarships. 15 minus 13 is 2. This means 2 players are leaving. Glad my accounting degree from Hofstra can come in handy here. :lol:

Now we just got to hope the two guys leaving isn't anyone we were expecting to play serious minutes.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

garyg wrote:
How could this possibly be? Who is leaving?
Polito

Post by Polito »

You guys are funny :D

The winds of change are coming - pretty obvious. And I will say somewhat cryptically that it is all good folks - all those who are the team foundation and expected to play, will be, and all the new ones brought in will likely be on the floor as needed too. Any potential/likely changes will have no real negative impact IMO. The opposite actually as HU will be enabled to continue to bring in what is truly needed.

Also, for the remaining need, there is no question a 5 should be brought in to sit and be groomed to take over the position the following year.

Get a 6'9-6'11 stud to redshirt, call this class a day, and focus the hell out of '18.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

So, reading between the (very wide) lines, there are 3 senior forwards who don't look to be getting much PT this year that could be on the way out.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

cactus wrote:So, reading between the (very wide) lines, there are 3 senior forwards who don't look to be getting much PT this year that could be on the way out.
Right now we have 5 guards for 3 spots. I am not sure if coach would do this but I definitely feel like Robinson would play pretty well at the 3 as a backup. This could offer him some solid playing time while also giving us a rather big lineup to put on the floor for certain scenarios.

A hypothetical lineup could be:
Wormley at 6'4"
Pemberton at 6'4"
Robinson at 6'5"
Angus at 6'7"
Gustys at 6'9"

Definitely give a bigger look then we have been used to.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Given our new additions, I would gladly give up the services of AW or TG for a solid 5 that sits this year.

I'm also fairly sure there are ways to play games with the 13 limit and the number of guys on the roster. If a player that is currently on scholarship (full, half, quarter, whatever) no longer needs that specific type of assistance to stay in school, that player can continue to play as a "walk-on" and no longer be counted as one of the 13. For instance, a player is on scholarship and graduates with one year of eligibility left. The player applies for grad school and gets a full academic or research stipend. The player continues to play and is no longer counted as one of the 13 because he is not receiving athletic money.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraMathew wrote:
cactus wrote:So, reading between the (very wide) lines, there are 3 senior forwards who don't look to be getting much PT this year that could be on the way out.
Right now we have 5 guards for 3 spots. I am not sure if coach would do this but I definitely feel like Robinson would play pretty well at the 3 as a backup. This could offer him some solid playing time while also giving us a rather big lineup to put on the floor for certain scenarios.

Wormley at 6'4"
Pemberton at 6'4"
Robinson at 6'5"
Angus at 6'7"
Gustys at 6'9"

I am not sure that I can envision any lineup without JFW. I'd gladly give up any shortcomings , literal or figurative, that 6'0" JFW has and start him over Robinson. JFW - scores, creates, works with RG in a 2 man game - he is a starter!
Last edited by daHUPride on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

daHUPride wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:

Wormley at 6'4"
Pemberton at 6'4"
Robinson at 6'5"
Angus at 6'7"
Gustys at 6'9"

I am not sure that I can envision any lineup with JFW. I'd gladly give up any shortcomings , literal or figurative, that 6'0" JFW has and start him over Robinson.
I agree; I didn't mean this as a starting lineup. Just a lineup to kind of throw in there for a few minutes a game to give the team a different look. But I was more getting at I think Robinson could get some playing time at 3 and be productive.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wormley at 6'4"
Pemberton at 6'4"
Robinson at 6'5"
Angus at 6'7"
Gustys at 6'9"

Definitely give a bigger look then we have been used to.[/quote]

I am not sure that I can envision any lineup with JFW. I'd gladly give up any shortcomings , literal or figurative, that 6'0" JFW has and start him over Robinson.[/quote]

I agree; I didn't mean this as a starting lineup. Just a lineup to kind of throw in there for a few minutes a game to give the team a different look. But I was more getting at I think Robinson could get some playing time at 3 and be productive.[/quote]

That I agree with you - this roster could give HU the ability to give a number of differnet looks.
Cards

Post by Cards »

starting lineup
1 - KW
2 - JWF
3 - EP
4 - JA
5 - RG

subs
1 - DB
2 - JRay
3 - JR or MR
4 - ST or TG or MR
5 - HS or AW

and of course depending on the circumstances of the game we could see JRay or JWF at 1 (unlikely now that we have 2 PGs), EP could play the 2 spot, JR or MR or even ST could play at the 3 for short stints depending on how they shoot outside and handle the rock - and if we want to go big lineup. Right now we have four guys who could play at the 4 spot.
garyg

Post by garyg »

This class will really tell us something about staff and their recruiting ability. Most of these guys were not highly recruited at the CAA level or above. If they turn out to be productive players that fill our needs hats off to JAM and staff.
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80,,,have you heard anything about how Buie's rehab is coming along ??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I not heard anything...so I must assume he is doing fine
Polito

Post by Polito »

He always seemed to be walking well and in good spirits, so hoping that is the case. Praying for a full recovery for him - seems like a real good young man, and I love his ability

Sure we won't know until he steps on the court - these things usually have the physical healing part, and then the mental confidence part once healed and trusting it

Work hard Buie and fight for the comeback, team needs ya!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hopefully Wormsley is that "missing link " as HUSID80 had referred which will allow Buie a gradual comeback into basketball shape....do not want Buie to do too much too fast
Cards

Post by Cards »

OK - so it appears that Jamal Robinson has transferred. He was a good student, got his degree, good team mate and good all around young man. He was easy to like, conducted himself well at HU, and all you can do is wish him the absolute best in all future endeavors. I'm happy for him. :D

Of course I tip my hat to HUSID80 for being the all knowing soothsayer. He had noted a few weeks ago that we were likely still looking for a solid big man (transfer) that could enroll now and sit out this season while learning the JM system. Of course, at the time, there was no open spot left on the roster. Well HuSID80.....we are not worthy....we are not worthy :lol:

I hope the other half of your crystal ball prediction is correct. I'd love to see a 6'9 - 6'10" experienced big come aboard.
garyg

Post by garyg »

What big men are left ??
Cards

Post by Cards »

garyg wrote:What big men are left ??
Certainly pickens are slim (compared to a 6 weeks ago) but there are still a few good ones out there. There are even a few 3 and 4 star bigs. Question is are they interested in coming to HU. More 2 star guys available, but who knows how talented they really are???
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Cards wrote:OK - so it appears that Jamal Robinson has transferred. He was a good student, got his degree, good team mate and good all around young man. He was easy to like, conducted himself well at HU, and all you can do is wish him the absolute best in all future endeavors. I'm happy for him. :D

Of course I tip my hat to HUSID80 for being the all knowing soothsayer. He had noted a few weeks ago that we were likely still looking for a solid big man (transfer) that could enroll now and sit out this season while learning the JM system. Of course, at the time, there was no open spot left on the roster. Well HuSID80.....we are not worthy....we are not worthy :lol:

I hope the other half of your crystal ball prediction is correct. I'd love to see a 6'9 - 6'10" experienced big come aboard.
Hey Cards thanks for the shoutout! :D Still plenty of good big guys left...by my count about 20 who fir our needs....as I've said before I'm confident this staff will land more BIG game!