Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
DCDUTCH

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by DCDUTCH »

:shock: :? :shock: :?
Cards

Post by Cards »

Angus was one of the few forwards left on the transfer roles that could play right away. Without knowing his true abilities, I thought he should have been one of the guys on our list simply based on size and immediate availability. Hopefully we had seen talent in him all along and we had been pursuing him, rather than he is a last minute desperation pick.

he is listed as 6'7" 215 lbs. Went to high school at Putnam Science - isn't that where JWF went to school?

I guess he and ST are the 4s this year. based on below write-up looks like he could fit in well. He can score, high shooting percent, high FT shooting percent :P , shoul dbe able to help on the boards. Listed as 6'7" 240lbs on the roster.

2015-16: One of two players to start all 29 games...Southeast’s second-leading scorer (10.5 ppg) and rebounder (5.9 rpg) in his first year of Division I basketball...Led the team with 172 total rebounds, including 65 on the offensive end...Boasted the team’s best field goal percentage making 111-of-222 shots for 50 percent...Shot 72.2 percent at the free throw line (83-of-115)...Dished out 32 assists, collected 20 steals and ranked second on the team with 14 blocks...Registered his first career double-double when he finished with 13 points and 13 rebounds vs. Tennessee State (1/2)...Had two double-doubles for the season...Scored double figures 14 times...Finished the year by scoring 10 or more points in each of his final four starts...Dropped in a season-high 19 points on 8-of-10 field goals and made a perfect 3-of-3 free throws at Austin Peay (2/26)...Ranked 13th in the Ohio Valley Conference in rebounding and 11th in field goal percentage...Was also 10th in the league in offensive rebounds (2.2 rpg)...Scored 18 points and played a season-high 40 minutes vs. UT Martin (1/24)...Spent two weeks in Europe from Aug. 8-19 with the Global Sports Academy, a not-for-profit organization participating in domestic and international competition since 1991...Played under Southeast assistant coach Chris Moore as his team toured in Holland, Germany and Belgium...Angus’ team, consisting of several NCAA Division I players, played five games in nine days...Averaged 8.4 points per game during the two-week tour.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

I'm pretty optimistic on this one, and not necessarily as a high-impact 4, but more as a high-level rotational player/starter. Late bloomer who has a hybrid 3/4 game, but without the 3 pt shot. Here are some highlights from right before SEMO--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgFzr7hfmB8

The 11 pts and 6 reb in his first season at SEMO was on 50% shooting and 74% from the FT line-- all great metrics. He was out for the year with hip surgery last year, so obviously that rehab can be a concern.

He seems to have a soft mid-range game and can finish effectively around the rim. He also has a bit of a slasher game, as his handle appears to be pretty good. Could be an interesting fit for us for P&R and Pick and Pop opportunities.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... eisaNRxe8A

Some additional stats -was he injured last year or had other problems with coach?
Cards

Post by Cards »

he had hip surgery last year and did not play. He has graduated and is taking advantage of the grad transfer rules. Can play immediately and has 1 year left.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Could be a real find if he is healthy.
Cards

Post by Cards »

As you said HUSID, he is not a real "impact 4", but rather, he's a guy who could fit in. Unless we get someone else with our last spot, it looks to me like Angus and Truehart will be getting the majority of the 4 spot time. I'm hoping ST develops into the Koon type guy who can shoot the three (but is more athletic than Koon) and Angus can play and help out in the mid-range (he appears to have soft hands and a decent 15 ft shot). Not expecting much from TG this year (even though he had a few good games last year he still looked clueless while out on the floor).

With DB and KW at the point, and ST and JA at the 4, I definitely see us with more length and my guess would be better defense - lets hope!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Nice to see this addition. I think the staff will now focus on a transfer to help fill in when Rok/Sabety leave. We could always use another talented SF in the 6-5 to 6-7 range!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Cards wrote:Angus was one of the few forwards left on the transfer roles that could play right away. Without knowing his true abilities, I thought he should have been one of the guys on our list simply based on size and immediate availability. Hopefully we had seen talent in him all along and we had been pursuing him, rather than he is a last minute desperation pick.

he is listed as 6'7" 215 lbs. Went to high school at Putnam Science - isn't that where JWF went to school?

I guess he and ST are the 4s this year. based on below write-up looks like he could fit in well. He can score, high shooting percent, high FT shooting percent :P , shoul dbe able to help on the boards. Listed as 6'7" 240lbs on the roster.

2015-16: One of two players to start all 29 games...Southeast’s second-leading scorer (10.5 ppg) and rebounder (5.9 rpg) in his first year of Division I basketball...Led the team with 172 total rebounds, including 65 on the offensive end...Boasted the team’s best field goal percentage making 111-of-222 shots for 50 percent...Shot 72.2 percent at the free throw line (83-of-115)...Dished out 32 assists, collected 20 steals and ranked second on the team with 14 blocks...Registered his first career double-double when he finished with 13 points and 13 rebounds vs. Tennessee State (1/2)...Had two double-doubles for the season...Scored double figures 14 times...Finished the year by scoring 10 or more points in each of his final four starts...Dropped in a season-high 19 points on 8-of-10 field goals and made a perfect 3-of-3 free throws at Austin Peay (2/26)...Ranked 13th in the Ohio Valley Conference in rebounding and 11th in field goal percentage...Was also 10th in the league in offensive rebounds (2.2 rpg)...Scored 18 points and played a season-high 40 minutes vs. UT Martin (1/24)...Spent two weeks in Europe from Aug. 8-19 with the Global Sports Academy, a not-for-profit organization participating in domestic and international competition since 1991...Played under Southeast assistant coach Chris Moore as his team toured in Holland, Germany and Belgium...Angus’ team, consisting of several NCAA Division I players, played five games in nine days...Averaged 8.4 points per game during the two-week tour.
Cards, his bio says he's 240 pounds...BIG DIFFERENCE from 215!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If he is 225 and a true 6ft7. He fits the hill for this year my concern this year is still the point with DB. Oming off injury that said I am more concerned with 2018. Lots of spots to fill
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:If he is 225 and a true 6ft7. He fits the hill for this year my concern this year is still the point with DB. Oming off injury that said I am more concerned with 2018. Lots of spots to fill
That's exactly why they brought in Wormley.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Add him to the rotation. We need depth for once. He seems like a high character guy which is always a plus. Obviously this isn't the impact 4 we were all looking for, but at this point I'm just relieved that we were able to add a serviceable player at the 4. He is a one and done guy. We still have time to add an impact big who can sit this year and be ready next year when Rok and Sabety are gone.

Could this move be a signal that the staff is high on Trueheart at the 4 for next season? Or do we think we just couldn't land a better player at this position?
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID80 wrote:
Cards wrote:Angus was one of the few forwards left on the transfer roles that could play right away. Without knowing his true abilities, I thought he should have been one of the guys on our list simply based on size and immediate availability. Hopefully we had seen talent in him all along and we had been pursuing him, rather than he is a last minute desperation pick.

he is listed as 6'7" 215 lbs. [/u]Went to high school at Putnam Science - isn't that where JWF went to school?

[/u][/u]2015-16: One of two players to start all 29 games...Southeast’s second-leading scorer (10.5 ppg) and rebounder (5.9 rpg) in his first year of Division I basketball...Led the team with 172 total rebounds, including 65 on the offensive end...Boasted the team’s best field goal percentage making 111-of-222 shots for 50 percent...Shot 72.2 percent at the free throw line (83-of-115)...Dished out 32 assists, collected 20 steals and ranked second on the team with 14 blocks...Registered his first career double-double when he finished with 13 points and 13 rebounds vs. Tennessee State (1/2)...Had two double-doubles for the season...Scored double figures 14 times...Finished the year by scoring 10 or more points in each of his final four starts...Dropped in a season-high 19 points on 8-of-10 field goals and made a perfect 3-of-3 free throws at Austin Peay (2/26)...Ranked 13th in the Ohio Valley Conference in rebounding and 11th in field goal percentage...Was also 10th in the league in offensive rebounds (2.2 rpg)...Scored 18 points and played a season-high 40 minutes vs. UT Martin (1/24)...Spent two weeks in Europe from Aug. 8-19 with the Global Sports Academy, a not-for-profit organization participating in domestic and international competition since 1991...Played under Southeast assistant coach Chris Moore as his team toured in Holland, Germany and Belgium...Angus’ team, consisting of several NCAA Division I players, played five games in nine days...Averaged 8.4 points per game during the two-week tour.
Cards, his bio says he's 240 pounds...BIG DIFFERENCE from 215!
That what I indicated - listed as 215 - however listed as 240 on the SEMO roster
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Sounds like a JAM type of guy.

Monroe College head coach Jeff Brustad added, "Southeast Missouri is getting a solid student-athlete. Joel is a great kid both on and off the floor, and is all about handling his business. He is a mature, high IQ guy, who understands concepts and things of that nature. He can score, play inside/outside and is physical."

Like his size and maturity.

Angus is a one and done "big" - we will need to replace 6 bigs/tweeners after next season - Angus, Greer, Robinson, Gustys, Sabety and Walker. That only leaves us with Truehart - into the 2018-19 (should be a good thing for Truehart future PT).
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I know they are looking for at least one more transfer. Get a big in the program this year, sit out, learn the system and become a starter in 18-19, that's what would work.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID80 wrote:I know they are looking for at least one more transfer. Get a big in the program this year, sit out, learn the system and become a starter in 18-19, that's what would work.
Right you are (on your thought process). Hope you are right again with that type signing.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Angus is going to really make me miss my pregame burgerfi burger and beer next season

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:I know they are looking for at least one more transfer. Get a big in the program this year, sit out, learn the system and become a starter in 18-19, that's what would work.
HUSID80...you state staff looking for at least one more transfer...that is all we have room for unless somebody is transferring out ?? Is that the case ??
Polito

Post by Polito »

Welcome to Dutch Nation Mr. Angus!

My take:

Plus
- Thank God they were even able to sign a 4 in this class.
- 6'7
- Very experienced, heady, mature player who understands the game.
- Strong all-around game - can score inside, very nice mid range shot, decent on FT's, rebounds well, blocks, steals, and seems like an unselfish guy
- Good hands, strong, but soft shooting touch
- Has played well every stop, from HS to Prep to 2 different Juco's to SEMO. Consistent contributor, and can lead certain categories.
- Good student and immediately eligible.

Minus
- Does not hit the 3, which is what a true stretch is - his scoring ability is limited to inside the arc.
- 1 and done - which means we have to go through this nonsense again next class.
- Unsure of actual weight - 225=fantastic - 250? No thanks.
- Another player coming in off an injury - seriously? C'mon staff, you HAVE to do a better job than this long term. Should not be forced to take rehabs every single class. That leads me to this ---V
- This is an absolute failure by this staff to recruit properly during the NORMAL friggin time period - they signed the best they could get from the leftovers, and this is NOT the impact player this team needs. Extremely disappointed in JM and Co. This is unacceptable from this staff, and better be the last time they are in this position of near desperation. They are not new. Poor poor job - improvement is a necessity, or someone needs to be replaced going forward.
garyg

Post by garyg »

If we can get a combined [Trueheart & Angus] 16 points & 8 rebounds out of the 4 position I will be happy with this signing...