MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by daHUPride »

I think we'll be able to pull a rabbit out of our hats and get some talent signed soon (I hope so).
I have to believe staff is out there and pounding the pavement and recruiting talent like everyone else.
But what the hell is it that we are signing anyone? When it seems everyone else is inking two, three, four players!
I hope it isn't budgeting on the university end of it. I hope it isn't that we are holding out and saving scholarships for other years - since we have been shown that we can sign a number of players in one class.
What is frustrating to me is - it seemed like we were getting more players, quality players after the 2013 debacle. That makes no sense to me.
This pipeline should be full of players where we are getting at least two quality players per year and taking a chance on a flier for another player or two.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

daHUPride wrote:I think we'll be able to pull a rabbit out of our hats and get some talent signed soon (I hope so).
I have to believe staff is out there and pounding the pavement and recruiting talent like everyone else.
But what the hell is it that we are signing anyone? When it seems everyone else is inking two, three, four players!
I hope it isn't budgeting on the university end of it. I hope it isn't that we are holding out and saving scholarships for other years - since we have been shown that we can sign a number of players in one class.
What is frustrating to me is - it seemed like we were getting more players, quality players after the 2013 debacle. That makes no sense to me.
This pipeline should be full of players where we are getting at least two quality players per year and taking a chance on a flier for another player or two.
We may be right on track with your pipeline though. Ray looks to be a quality player and Wormley looks to be a "flier". We just land the quality 4 and we are right on track.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I must tell you all that the staff is extremely high on Wormley...they feel he is a "missing link" for this team. He is tall, athletic and can run our offense, play defense and can score when he needs to.
I know that the staff is all over a bunch of kids still...heard one is in for a visit this weekend.
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:I must tell you all that the staff is extremely high on Wormley...they feel he is a "missing link" for this team. He is tall, athletic and can run our offense, play defense and can score when he needs to.
I know that the staff is all over a bunch of kids still...heard one is in for a visit this weekend.
Thanks for update HUSID80...productive 4 is also missing link...is staff confident they can fill that missing link as well ??
HU87

Post by HU87 »

This might sound crazy, but are we sure this quality stretch 4 for this year is a high priority for JAM and staff? Our tiers of player talent are as follows (IMO):

Tier 1-
JWF
Rokas
Eli

Tier 2-
Buie
Hunter Sabety
Ty Greer
Jamal Robinson

Tier 3/Unknown-
Ray
Wormley
Trueheart
Walker

I wouldn't be surprised if the staff thinks this team has the tools it needs for next year. Toward the end of this season, we started playing 4 guard, 1 big sets to maximize our outside shooting and spacing-- It reminded me a bit of Wright's Nova teams back in the day. We also have to think that the staff will give Ty Greer and Trueheart some opportunities, along with using Jamal in those 4 "guard" sets.

Would I be happy about that? Absolutely not-- especially since this line-up would be CAA contending with the right impact 4:

Buie
JWF
Eli
IMPACT 4
Rokas

Bench-
Sabety
Jamal
Ray/Wormley
Ty Greer

I guess we'll see...
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

After being away for a week without internet access I thought I would come home for some exciting news. How did Towson get him?
garyg

Post by garyg »

bobe13 wrote:After being away for a week without internet access I thought I would come home for some exciting news. How did Towson get him?
No exciting news Bob...you missed nothing
Polito

Post by Polito »

Let me guess... because Towson can get anybody in.

:roll: :lol:

Ah, I jest, I jest.

I personally don't think he was right, had a reported, charged, and suspended minor phone theft issue at Duquesne, and I was actually surprised HU was going after him. Just goes to show they are getting desperate. When you start making concessions for your own standards in place for years, you know there's a problem.

Unfortunately it just adds fuel to this dumpster fire where every recruit HU has shown interest in, had a visit with, etc. has gone elsewhere. Whatever they are selling needs serious quick re-work, because it is missing the mark.

And every excuse has been debunked. This has nothing to do with P5s or admission standards, this has everything to do with this staff getting OWNED right now across the board and no one who can C L O S E.

Position should've been wrapped up MONTHS ago.

And Lord help us with this Wormley is the missing link talk. I hope and pray they are right, because he's a career 2 ASSIST/GAME point. Good size, plays D, can handle the ball, and run an offense. All good things, but quite frankly that is what a point is SUPPOSED to do. There is nothing special about that. What HU needs is someone who can CREATE and DISH, and he's shown ZERO of that in his entire career.

To me, he should be backing up Buie. Perhaps this staff is so high on him because he's the only point to commit and they completely missed on every other. Not impressed. He's gonna be better than Powers? Nesmith? Green?

Because that's what "missing link" means to me. Highly doubtful. But if this is who they are putting the season into, they damn sure better be right - he best SHOW OUT.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Any insight regarding last weekend recruit visit?? Guard? Forward? 2017 or 2018 grad/transfer? How it went?
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

WTF?
garyg

Post by garyg »

Any updates HUSID80 ???
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Today 5/17 last day for high school seniors to sign. As of now 50 days left for the final deadline of7/6
Polito

Post by Polito »

Let me see if I can help the questions on news/updates:

NOPE.

The 2nd recruiting period has come and gone. All that talk about plenty of time in the period was just talk. Now the same talk will occur for the next month and a half around transfers only, and everyone is supposed to just feel great about it. :?

Like the friggin Mets... "Don't worry, there's still plenty of time!" Is the yearly front office battle cry until August when everyone suddenly realizes oh crap, there's no more time.

2 spots still left to fill, at least... because we also have no clue if anyone is heading out, which has been hinted at.

This staff is getting their doors blown off in this recruiting class. I'm sure they are trying and working hard, but dems da facts. Not interested in the excuses, WORK HARDER.

P.S. UNCW now has 3 commits. If I had to guess, I would say 1 is likely to be a big impact, so it's not like they're bringing in 4 stars. BUT the fact remains it took them 5 weeks to do more than HU's staff in TWO FULL CYCLES.

I'm sorry, but these folks are paid to produce, and the assessment thus far is they have done a poor job. Not interested in depending on some last minute transfer like Trueheart, those are rare unforeseen cases, not the norms. Hoping for that is RIDICULOUS.

Ray is a stud. Wormley remains to be seen. The 2 spots left are VITAL. They better fill them with IMPACT players of NEED in the next 50 days or they will have wasted a huge opportunity.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

5/17/2017 - 2017 PG Christopher Duarte (6-5, 180, 3★) committed to Western Kentucky.
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80...time for some encouraging news !!!!!!!!!!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

:(
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Anyone here on osbel caraballo?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Carabello apparently has no grades from what I hear..not on the radar. Wish I could tell you more guys, right now I have nothing to say except keep the faith.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Looks like we just landed SEMO transfer Joel Angus. Does he have to sit a year?
https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/ ... 0126301184