MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by daHUPride »

Wow - did the face of roster change ever so quickly.
With the subtraction of Robinson, Greer and ??? - we got younger quickly, lengthened or bench and appear to got more versatile.
We got a bunch of those 6'5" - 6'8" guys that I, and many others, have been clamoring for. I hope they are that "athletic" type that can guard out on the wing, rebound and put the ball on the floor. Only time will tell.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

HofstraMathew wrote:Do we know if the dutchmen Kevin Schutte is a walk on or scholarship player?
He is a scholarship player as far as I know.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

So how many eligible players do we have this season, and who is sitting? Also, what class is Buie? Thx
Cards

Post by Cards »

joeg1 wrote:So how many eligible players do we have this season, and who is sitting? Also, what class is Buie? Thx
I think with everyone who is currently shown to be on the team, we have 13 scholarship players and 2 walkons (same from last year).
The 13 includes Schutte, who I assume will redshirt, and TC who will sit out this season. That should leave us 11 +2 =13 players who can step on the court.

We will have a decidedly new look this year, with only JWF, EP, Rok, and HS returning as contributing players. DB is kinda new, ST is kinda new, KW is new, JR is new, JA is new, and MR are new. Hoping all these guys can gel and perform pretty quickly. As Polito has always stated, much of the ability to gel will depend on the abilities of KW and DB to be the floor generals and be playmakers!

Now, if rumors are true, and there is still someone transferring out, then we have another opening for an active or redshirt player.

I assume that DB had a medical redshirt last year and has 3 full years left to play.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

joeg1 wrote:So how many eligible players do we have this season, and who is sitting? Also, what class is Buie? Thx
Cards has it correct, as far as I can tell:

G
Wright-Foreman JR
Wormley JR
Buie SO
Coburn SO (Transfer)
Pemberton SO
Ray FR

F
Gustys SR
Sabety SR
Walker SR
Angus SR
Trueheart FR
Radovic FR
Schutte FR (possible Redshirt)

With 4 graduating bigs this year and 6 likely returning guards in 2018, that recruits thread is going to be filled with offers like these:
7/17/2017 - 2018 C Joseph Hedstrom (6-8, -, 2★) has received an offer from Hofstra. - Per Link
7/16/2017 - 2018 PF David Nzekwesi (6-9, 235, 2★) has received an offer from Hofstra. - Per Link
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Thanks! Looks like this is what we're rolling with...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Schutte will definitely be redshirting. Staff loves his size and athleticism...I was corrected by them when I said he is 6-8. They say he is 6-9 and I saw some video of him and he is long, athletic with great hops and hands...goes to the rim strong...saw some awesome two-handed dunks after flying down the lane and catching a pass in traffic. Staff feels he will use next year to get stronger get into the system and be ready to contribute in 18-19 when we lose our two key big guys.
garyg

Post by garyg »

WOW HUSID80...things certainly appear to be moving in right direction !!!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

garyg wrote:WOW HUSID80...things certainly appear to be moving in right direction !!!
I like this group. Need to stay healthy and play to potential/improve. Then we could be poised to make a run.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/c ... 1.13807416

When Tareq Coburn asked St. Bonaventure to release him from his basketball scholarship earlier this summer, Hofstra’s Justin Wright-Foreman was not shy about putting a word in for his own school.

The two have known each other since they were 10 years old playing New York City’s hoops circuit, Coburn said, and Wright-Foreman urged his friend to come home.

Coburn, who led PSAL power Cardozo in scoring in 2015-16, researched Hofstra. The 6-5 guard said he posted a 3.6 GPA last year as a freshman, and found an academic fit at Hofstra. He said he wants to become a physician assistant, like his mother, and Hofstra offers a program. He also liked the fact campus would be a short drive from his childhood home in Rosedale, Queens.

So even though New Mexico and Manhattan had begun to reach out, Coburn said he decided to commit to Hofstra last week.

He will sit out next season, per NCAA transfer rules, and have three years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2018-19.

“Justin was just telling me about it, saying I should come home,” Coburn said. “It seemed like a good program to me.”

Coburn found himself buried on the bench at St. Bonaventure, playing just 27 minutes over 12 games. The Bonnies (20-12, 11-7 Atlantic 10) had two standout guards in Jaylen Adams and Matt Mobley, who each averaged more than 18 points and 37 minutes per game. They each decided to return for their senior year, so Coburn preferred a change of scenery.

“I didn’t leave because I was scared,” he said. “I just didn’t know what my role would be.”

With the mandatory redshirt year, Coburn will have a chance

to prove himself in practice.

“Having the whole year just to work out, understand the system, you can take that for an advantage,” he said.
Polito

Post by Polito »

That is really nice to hear HUSID on his size - 6'9 is key... and that likely means he's a legit 6'8 :) either way, he's got the height - now just needs some weight

Still would love to see them land another big to sit who's on the beefier end - HU will need an enforcer for games against teams like CofC who love to bully with size in the post

Way to go JWF!! I tell ya, there's not much more powerful in the recruiting game than fellow players recruiting each other - it's HUGE.

TC is a great move for both sides - really love that get - I don't think he's going to take over the conf, but he should be a super compliment to the team and help spread things out from the perimeter - I could see 2nd team-ish all-conf type production

P.S. I met a former Iona manager today - really great convo, and I learned quite a bit:

-> They have a lot of respect for the HU staff, and think they're doing a tremendous job - Mihalich is looked upon very favorably - Grasso referred him to HU to continue as a GA if he wanted because of that - they are impressed with the talent this staff lands, and think that the entire staff is top class
-> Said Iona takes TONS of fliers on guys every year - they are willing to take chances on guys most wouldn't touch (no shock to us) - they happily take guys with bad pasts, bad academics, bad personalities etc. - figure they have nothing to lose - the strategy is to have 1 or 2 leaders/good seeds who gel the team together during the season - said it's a very very tough job for the staff, and I said kudos to Cluess for keeping things together every year, not easy with challenging young men
-> Selling points are plenty of PT, the style of O offering freedom to score at will, a chance to play in the Garden at least once a year, a near lock to win 20 games, and a very high % chance of cutting nets and playing in the NCAAT
-> Echoed many of our sentiments about how ridiculous it's getting with mid major 'stars' up-transferring - said it's a foolish move most of the time - gave a great example of Antoine Mason who was an absolute stud at Niagara, bigger than most MAAC guards, but got attracted to going big - went to Auburn, faced SEC guards, and avg about 7pts a game - poof, what could've lead to a great Euro payday, has now turned him into an afterthought - I agree 100% - some of these kids get the wrong things in their heads, mostly lead by others/handlers
-> Agrees with us 100% that the coliseum should hold a regional tourney every year with the NY mids, and HU should sponsor/lead it - he was very excited about the Nova/HU game, and will be there to see the big event
-> Iona has budget challenges too, moreso than HU - can't even afford GA's - life of a mid major is brutal man
-> Has tremendous respect for the CAA, thinks it's on par with low level A10 - should be multi-bid league - they know it's a brutal gauntlet to win
-> All felt Grasso should've landed the QU job, and thought Pecora would jump at LIU Bklyn

Some other stuff too, but thought those things would be fun for you all to read.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I agree with paragraph one and two Polito.
I see they offered another big from the Netherlands 6'9" and 235 for next year. Maybe a buddy of Schutte? Things appear to be looking up!
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/rob-howard-jr

7/19/2017 - JUCO PF Rob Howard, Jr. (6-8, 225, 2★) has received an offer from Hofstra.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

DCDUTCH wrote:http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/rob-howard-jr

7/19/2017 - JUCO PF Rob Howard, Jr. (6-8, 225, 2★) has received an offer from Hofstra.
this could mean we have another transfer heading out this year.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

cactus wrote:
DCDUTCH wrote:http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/rob-howard-jr

this could mean we have another transfer heading out this year.
I would guess this guy is for the 2018 class.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:That is really nice to hear HUSID on his size - 6'9 is key... and that likely means he's a legit 6'8 :) either way, he's got the height - now just needs some weight

Still would love to see them land another big to sit who's on the beefier end - HU will need an enforcer for games against teams like CofC who love to bully with size in the post

Way to go JWF!! I tell ya, there's not much more powerful in the recruiting game than fellow players recruiting each other - it's HUGE.

TC is a great move for both sides - really love that get - I don't think he's going to take over the conf, but he should be a super compliment to the team and help spread things out from the perimeter - I could see 2nd team-ish all-conf type production

P.S. I met a former Iona manager today - really great convo, and I learned quite a bit:

-> They have a lot of respect for the HU staff, and think they're doing a tremendous job - Mihalich is looked upon very favorably - Grasso referred him to HU to continue as a GA if he wanted because of that - they are impressed with the talent this staff lands, and think that the entire staff is top class
-> Said Iona takes TONS of fliers on guys every year - they are willing to take chances on guys most wouldn't touch (no shock to us) - they happily take guys with bad pasts, bad academics, bad personalities etc. - figure they have nothing to lose - the strategy is to have 1 or 2 leaders/good seeds who gel the team together during the season - said it's a very very tough job for the staff, and I said kudos to Cluess for keeping things together every year, not easy with challenging young men
-> Selling points are plenty of PT, the style of O offering freedom to score at will, a chance to play in the Garden at least once a year, a near lock to win 20 games, and a very high % chance of cutting nets and playing in the NCAAT
-> Echoed many of our sentiments about how ridiculous it's getting with mid major 'stars' up-transferring - said it's a foolish move most of the time - gave a great example of Antoine Mason who was an absolute stud at Niagara, bigger than most MAAC guards, but got attracted to going big - went to Auburn, faced SEC guards, and avg about 7pts a game - poof, what could've lead to a great Euro payday, has now turned him into an afterthought - I agree 100% - some of these kids get the wrong things in their heads, mostly lead by others/handlers
-> Agrees with us 100% that the coliseum should hold a regional tourney every year with the NY mids, and HU should sponsor/lead it - he was very excited about the Nova/HU game, and will be there to see the big event
-> Iona has budget challenges too, moreso than HU - can't even afford GA's - life of a mid major is brutal man
-> Has tremendous respect for the CAA, thinks it's on par with low level A10 - should be multi-bid league - they know it's a brutal gauntlet to win
-> All felt Grasso should've landed the QU job, and thought Pecora would jump at LIU Bklyn

Some other stuff too, but thought those things would be fun for you all to read.
Very interesting Polito....always interesting to get perspective from and "ENEMY" camp. If there is so much respect why don't they play us...Always felt this could be a great rivalry. Last time we played them at the Mack there were like 4,000 people in the stands...that's what we need...to build some local rivalries!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Captain/HUSID80....does it still appear that one more student/athlete will transfer out before September ???
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

[quote="Polito"]

quote]

I see Pecora is now an assistant at QU
Captain

Post by Captain »

garyg wrote:Captain/HUSID80....does it still appear that one more student/athlete will transfer out before September ???
I am told that the unnamed player is "gone".
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks Captain, very intriguing and good news if true - subtract to add - with all due respect to whoever it is, their time in blue and gold is greatly appreciated, this is another chance to upgrade- let's get that last piece of this recruiting season - 6'9 behemoth!

Even if the Dutchman puts on size, he'll need help - 2 deep at every spot