MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:
Cards wrote:OK - so it appears that Jamal Robinson has transferred. He was a good student, got his degree, good team mate and good all around young man. He was easy to like, conducted himself well at HU, and all you can do is wish him the absolute best in all future endeavors. I'm happy for him. :D

Of course I tip my hat to HUSID80 for being the all knowing soothsayer. He had noted a few weeks ago that we were likely still looking for a solid big man (transfer) that could enroll now and sit out this season while learning the JM system. Of course, at the time, there was no open spot left on the roster. Well HuSID80.....we are not worthy....we are not worthy :lol:

I hope the other half of your crystal ball prediction is correct. I'd love to see a 6'9 - 6'10" experienced big come aboard.
Hey Cards thanks for the shoutout! :D Still plenty of good big guys left...by my count about 20 who fir our needs....as I've said before I'm confident this staff will land more BIG game!
Name a few that may have an interest in Hofstra
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

It would be great if you could google each name and do a write-up on any with links to Hofstra....thanks!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Polito

Post by Polito »

I would imagine it could be either a transfer or a JUCO at this stage, correct?

Fine with either if the player fit the bill to replace Gustys/Sabety - which means it needs to be an impact level guy, not a role player - don't need role guys on the bench being groomed, that kind of focus and time should be spent on the guy that's going to step into the starter role that next year and have the capability to take the bull by the horns in the CAA right out of the gate.

Just need one for now, but make it a real good one worth the redshirt - the '18 class can grab 1-2 more to provide position depth/insurance policy.
Captain

Post by Captain »

The board has been very quiet. I have a friend who will remain a knowledgeable unnamed source. He gave me the info about Robinson to LIU well before it became public. He does like to fool with me as well so don't shoot the messenger. The most recent word is that 2 more peripheral players will not return. These are kids lives and futures so no need to mention names. That's all I heard so I am sure we will all find out together.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Captain wrote:The board has been very quiet. I have a friend who will remain a knowledgeable unnamed source. He gave me the info about Robinson to LIU well before it became public. He does like to fool with me as well so don't shoot the messenger. The most recent word is that 2 more peripheral players will not return. These are kids lives and futures so no need to mention names. That's all I heard so I am sure we will all find out together.
Very interesting Captain. Assuming we are talking about scholarship players, that certainly would open up the possibilities for adding a transfer or sleeper (1 or more). As long as one is a big that can play next year in Roks place and be a difference maker. I don't want any old mediocre role player. If he's not a scorer, fine......but he had better be an awesome defender and rebounder. Someone like a Jethro Tshisumpa :D :D
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

The men's basketball program is hosting its annual team camp tomorrow in the PFC. It's open to the public. There are usually 16 HS teams and most of our current players (including the new ones) and coaches are usually there. A good way to find out what's going on with the men's program:

https://twitter.com/CoachFarrellyHU/sta ... 3636502529
garyg

Post by garyg »

Captain wrote:The board has been very quiet. I have a friend who will remain a knowledgeable unnamed source. He gave me the info about Robinson to LIU well before it became public. He does like to fool with me as well so don't shoot the messenger. The most recent word is that 2 more peripheral players will not return. These are kids lives and futures so no need to mention names. That's all I heard so I am sure we will all find out together.
Captain..can you find out from your contact if he is foolin with you or are two more players really gonna transfer out ???
Captain

Post by Captain »

Hi Gary
My friend sent me this message and told me he was leaving for Europe for a couple of weeks. If I was a betting man I would say he was on the level this time. Jojo had a good idea to go to the PFC today to see who is not here.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone attend the team camp yesterday ???
Polito

Post by Polito »

Didn't go to the camp, but also curious if anyone has any other insight to share.

Whoever is moving on, it will be for the best as well as important in order to bring in the right pieces - this program needs to elevate, and ancillary player transition is part of that process.

Hopefully all will be announced soon so we can move forward with clarity and excitement - this needs to be a BIG year.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Pretty late in the game to be transferring out. I wonder who it is..
Cards

Post by Cards »

FYI - official signing of LOI for JR and KW now on verbal commits
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

All you need to do is go to verbal commits and see that there are plenty of late signings...Who knows, maybe we'll get a kid from Europe or something...Seems to be a trend...look at the NBA....Nice to have a BIG KID!!!!! Maybe from the Netherlands....A REAL FLYING DUTCHMAN LOL
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thank God Ray is in! We can now dispense with any more posts or questions regarding his status with HU :D

Looking forward to seeing him in action for the blue and gold baby. Jewel of the class, at least on paper, IMO... thus far.

Wormley, ok young fella and HU staff, you are now collectively on the clock to PROVE this is the much-needed, gap-filling PG fit to effectively lead this team to the top of a ladder in March.

As far as another add, well if that's happening let's get that 6'9ish big in the fold and wrap this class up with a bow!
Cards

Post by Cards »

OK - so now we have the second transfer. Both JR and TG are moving on. Good luck to them both.

Now its
KW and DB at the 1
JWF and JR at the 2
EP at the 3
JA at the 4
RG and HS at the 5
Of course we have both MR and ST learning the 4 to back up JA following his one and done. I also wonder if there will be times when MR plays a few minutes at the 3. Since ST has yet to play a college game, and MR is a true freshman, I'm glad we have JA. And the flipside is that I'm glad we have ST and MR for 4 years.

We now have spots to pick up a big for after this season and any surprise player that comes along.

Barring any injuries, I think we are in good shape for this season.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Need to sign at least one front court player to start looking towards replacing gustys and sabety.
Captain

Post by Captain »

We certainly need to find a big body or two. One more player to move this year I believe.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Captain wrote:Hi Gary
My friend sent me this message and told me he was leaving for Europe for a couple of weeks. If I was a betting man I would say he was on the level this time. Jojo had a good idea to go to the PFC today to see who is not here.

Captain....appears your source is on the money...who is next Walker >>
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID80 wrote:None of the new guys will redshirt...I know we are still looking for a 4 or 5 to sit out for next season...Most coaches like to keep one scholarship open just in case...you can all do the math
Now that the scholarships have opened we have to just sign that 4 or 5 to sit out. Anyone hear any rumors on names?