MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by stuball888 »

With the graduation of Powers and Bernardi we lose 25 points per game. If we do get the 16 points from the four it will ease the scoring load from JWF Pemba and Rokus. We still will have to improve defensively and keep opposing guards out of the paint. No more easy layups
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Some of you are quite unrealistic...what do you want? An all-star ball hog at every position? This team will be built around Rokus, JWF and Pemberton...the rest of team will be SUPPORT/ROLE PLAYERS...We have ENOUGH scoring...we need some outside and inside defenders, guys who can rebound and distribute the ball...IMO we have ADDRESSED these issues with this class...so what we had to wait until now to get a 4...but we did and from the looks of things it looks like he's a PLAYER...averaged nearly a double/double his last full season in a decent League...What did we get from that position last year??? We have also upgraded at PG with Buie back and another guy who can play and at 6-4 he may just what we need against the big guards in the CAA. Plus we added another guy who can score...off the bench. IMO we are a much better team than we were last year and we have ADDRESSED our most critical needs.

And, if you think we are going to get four star recruits going toe to toe with the Power Five perhaps you should rethink who you bleed for.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I agree with you on one point HUSID80 - that we will be better this year than last year. Better PG situation, more experienced EP and JWF, this team will feed the ball to RK and HS much better than last year, overall more size, should be better rebounding, and should be better defense (the guys who graduated were certainly weak on D last year).

I am optimistic that ST at 6'8" will develop into a valuable scorer and player. I just don't know how soon that will be. Hopefully, his redshirt season has really allowed him to mature and learn the system. Adding ST and JA to the roster this year will clearly provide more size and give us some real 4 type players. Question is for next season is - will it be enough?? Time will tell.

Agree with most of you in that JM should be trying to get a transfer 4/5 who can sit this year and learn the system. I would have said that JM should land a STUD or IMPACT 4/5 transfer.....but we know how those types of hopes seem to go :(
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:Some of you are quite unrealistic...what do you want? An all-star ball hog at every position? This team will be built around Rokus, JWF and Pemberton...the rest of team will be SUPPORT/ROLE PLAYERS...We have ENOUGH scoring...we need some outside and inside defenders, guys who can rebound and distribute the ball...IMO we have ADDRESSED these issues with this class...so what we had to wait until now to get a 4...but we did and from the looks of things it looks like he's a PLAYER...averaged nearly a double/double his last full season in a decent League...What did we get from that position last year??? We have also upgraded at PG with Buie back and another guy who can play and at 6-4 he may just what we need against the big guards in the CAA. Plus we added another guy who can score...off the bench. IMO we are a much better team than we were last year and we have ADDRESSED our most critical needs.

And, if you think we are going to get four star recruits going toe to toe with the Power Five perhaps you should rethink who you bleed for.
HUSID80....having someone average 8 PPG does not qualify them as an all-star ball hog as you mention above...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:Some of you are quite unrealistic...what do you want? An all-star ball hog at every position? This team will be built around Rokus, JWF and Pemberton...the rest of team will be SUPPORT/ROLE PLAYERS...We have ENOUGH scoring...we need some outside and inside defenders, guys who can rebound and distribute the ball...IMO we have ADDRESSED these issues with this class...so what we had to wait until now to get a 4...but we did and from the looks of things it looks like he's a PLAYER...averaged nearly a double/double his last full season in a decent League...What did we get from that position last year??? We have also upgraded at PG with Buie back and another guy who can play and at 6-4 he may just what we need against the big guards in the CAA. Plus we added another guy who can score...off the bench. IMO we are a much better team than we were last year and we have ADDRESSED our most critical needs.

HUSID80....having someone average 8 PPG does not qualify them as an all-star ball hog as you mention above...
That's correct...he is not one, we don't need another 20 point scorer on this team, that's just my point.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Just some random thoughts......

The coaches can't comment on players until they are signed, and they can't release info on recruits. It would destroy the process, their credibility, and their plan. (See some of the comments on the board here about recruits.) I believe that it's not them being secret, its them being appropriate.

I don't think it matters at all "when" they sign someone. (Duke just finished their recruiting........) It only matters if they sign someone who can play and represent HU. So, it matters "who" they sign. (One transfer on the board has some baggage and another just can not play).

I believe that the CAA is almost a position-less league. I think that the talk about a "4" or a "2" is not altogether important. I like the guys we'll put out there.

I believe that the sources that rank a player or try to detail his recruiting process are so bogus. I find them to be infuriating.

I am excited to see what JA brings to the mix !!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I don't see how expecting the staff to recruit properly is being unrealistic - when have I ever demanded they sign a 5 star? A 4 star? Those demands have never come from anyone I know here.

The need for an IMPACT 4 was identified DURING the SEASON for goodness sake. I'm sorry, but landing another young man coming off an injury year who everyone here seems to agree is not an IMPACT 4 is not the win needed.

Being annoyed that this staff is CONSTANTLY behind the 8 ball in recruiting is absolutely warranted and fair. It's May. And there is still a spot open. WHY?

Why is every other CAA program done? And the only one who's still looking is the one who went through a complete coaching reset. And they have the same number filled by the way. Lord help us all next year with even more spots available.

HU is not the only mid major with battles to fight. They face the same challenges that every other CAA school does.

And sorry, they are not losing all these kids to P5s HUSID. Not even close. Sure, you wanna cherry-pick the 2 that went to 'Nova and Duke completely out of the blue? Lol ok. I can probably name 10 that went to mids or lower. That argument is debunked.

And who said the team needs to be filled with 20 point scorers?? #1, no one here would ever complain about that in their right mind lol. #2 this team only has 1 of those - pretty sure they could stand 1 more. This team also doesn't need a career 2 assist per game PG, or to put it's season on another player coming in off a major injury/surgery :? . I may be a bit on the tougher side with expectations, but the issues are pretty clear here.

And those 2 may very well be fantastic - there is of course that possibility, I'm not discounting that fully - but it's a huge risk for this vital season. And to me, it was a very unnecessary risk when proper recruiting would've addressed things differently.

What this team needed, the ONLY thing it needed in this entire class, was an IMPACT 1 and 4. Out of the 4 available, those are the only 2 spots that mattered. IMO, that mission was not accomplished. It landed very serviceable role guys who can and should add good value. That's great in it's place.

But IMPACT? Don't see it. And I'm not good with that. This staff needs to do better, PERIOD. Nothing unrealistic about that.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Fact is our talent is rated the highest in the CAA in spite of our "poor" recruiting. The staff has identified talent early and for the most part delivered better players than we have had in a long time...just because we don't fill the roster early means nothing...you can "fill" a roster with non talents. I trust this staff to bring in kids who fit their system, have ability and can stay in school...pretty damned good IMO
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:Fact is our talent is rated the highest in the CAA in spite of our "poor" recruiting. The staff has identified talent early and for the most part delivered better players than we have had in a long time...just because we don't fill the roster early means nothing...you can "fill" a roster with non talents. I trust this staff to bring in kids who fit their system, have ability and can stay in school...pretty damned good IMO
HUSID80...who rates Hofstra's talent highest in CAA ???
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Verbal commits
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Are we recruiting any NYC players?
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:Verbal commits
So Verbal Commits is saying class of Ray, Wormsley, and Angus is tops in CAA ???
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

No Verbal Commits says our talent overall is rated the highest, 2.4XXXX vs the next is Charleston with 2.3xxxx is believe.

Actual updated Verbal Commits overall talent rankings are as follows:

1. Hofstra 2.409
2. Northeastern 2.394
3. Charleston 2.273
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

cactus wrote:Angus is going to really make me miss my pregame burgerfi burger and beer next season

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
You may have to go to the Green Turtle for your angus, Cactus. BurgiFi is closed. :(
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Jojogunne wrote:
cactus wrote:Angus is going to really make me miss my pregame burgerfi burger and beer next season

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
You may have to go to the Green Turtle for your angus, Cactus. BurgiFi is closed. :(
No time to leave work and sit down for a burger and beer. I can barely make the games as it is. BurgerFi was perfect. I'm bummed.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID80 wrote:No Verbal Commits says our talent overall is rated the highest, 2.4XXXX vs the next is Charleston with 2.3xxxx is believe.

1. Hofstra 2.409
2. Northeastern 2.394
3. Charleston 2.273
andre walker figures prominently in these values
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Would love to know the formula they use Also do they have this rating from years past. Would also like to compare previous years in the CAA
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

cactus wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:No Verbal Commits says our talent overall is rated the highest, 2.4XXXX vs the next is Charleston with 2.3xxxx is believe.

1. Hofstra 2.409
2. Northeastern 2.394
3. Charleston 2.273
andre walker figures prominently in these values
His composite ranking was 2.7, not off the charts, but he has not lived up to his ranking.
Cards

Post by Cards »

JM better keep recruiting hard for a big man. The addition of JA only helps for this year, and makes next years need for some size even more pressing. Other than ST, we lose SIX bigs next year and literally have NO front line! Zero. Very, very scarry. Need to lock up a solid big out of available transfers (sit this year and get prepped for next).
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Cards, he is well aware, they thought they had the Duquense kid who went to Towson. I heard his mother did not want him going to school in the NY area. Got to believe they will land a big via transfer and develop him over next year and add others with the next class.