MBB Game 8 vs Holy Cross 11/29/19

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

MBB Game 8 vs Holy Cross 11/29/19

Post by Cards »

Should be an easy W on Sunday. Hopefully the guys are efficient and can wrap this up with starters not having to play more than 30 minutes.

HC is 0-5 and lost to Northeastern by 57 pts. That's not a typo - they lost 101 - 46! :shock:

If we move on to play Canisius ( show should beat Mercer), we will have a much tougher time. This season, Canisius already beat Bucknell and St Bon.
Wags

Re: MBB Game 8 vs Holy Cross 12/1/19

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:Should be an easy W on Sunday. Hopefully the guys are efficient and can wrap this up with starters not having to play more than 30 minutes.

HC is 0-5 and lost to Northeastern by 57 pts. That's not a typo - they lost 101 - 46! :shock:

If we move on to play Canisius ( show should beat Mercer), we will have a much tougher time. This season, Canisius already beat Bucknell and St Bon.
I think that was just an off game for HC. It's a game HU should win fairly easily, but they can take nothing for granted. HC also lost by only 8 to Harvard (which just beat Texas A&M by 11).

p.s. the date in the subject line should be 12/1 instead of 11/29.
triplec2195

Re: MBB Game 8 vs Holy Cross 11/29/19

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:Should be an easy W on Sunday. Hopefully the guys are efficient and can wrap this up with starters not having to play more than 30 minutes.

Not being contentious but 101-46=55 point loss Lol. I just wanted to get that in there before Evan corrects you but jokes aside this should be an easy game but easy games and us getting a big point spread make me nervous. I'm assuming there will be a decent point spread playing on a neutral court. I'm of the feeling we play better when we're playing up to our opponents rather then vice versa. Anyway will there be video for this game and the others or is it just pay to watch??
Cards

Post by Cards »

Thanks goodness my math is better than my typing - 57 pt loss because HC scored 44 pts, not 46 as I had typed. ;)
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The Sagarin ratings have us as 15+ point favorites.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:The Sagarin ratings have us as 15+ point favorites.
Yes and probably realistic we all know that N.E. isn't 57 points better then Holy Cross just like we weren't 40 + points better then Delaware last year at home in our first meeting. We match up well and should easily win this game with the caveat that we bring at least our "B" GAME. Would like to watch this game hopefully not too much angst.
BTW does anybody know why Miranda hasn't been getting any minutes lately?? Joe has got the "DOGHOUSE out again!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: Anyway will there be video for this game and the others or is it just pay to watch??
It's pay the host school, who is Florida Atlantic (FAU). It's $6.95 for one day or $10.95 for one month, and the latter auto-renews. I'm not paying, but if you are going to pay I would do the latter because of the higher price to lower price ratio and cancel quickly. The payments include both games both days and other FAU games we don't care about, so if you want to watch the other game on Sunday to see how Mercer and Canisius look, that's more reason to pay.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/11/28/m ... orida.aspx is Hofstra's preview titled "MBB: Hofstra To Face Holy Cross In Florida."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... 0game8.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes.

Holy Cross is playing at FAU now, and FAU leads 16-10. FAU uses Sidearm Stats, which I don't like as much as StatBroadcast that all CAA teams use. Therefore we will be more rested when we face Holy Cross, not that we should need that advantage. https://fausports.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary has statistics of that game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Evan thank you for the info. re the games and your recommendation. I think I will go for it and cancel timely. You're always very helpful on the boards!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

You're welcome.

Holy Cross lost 87-69 at FAU. They haven't written a preview yet. Tomorrow's game is at 3:00 P.M., so if you don't pay the NFL is on for free at the same time. I don't know if you can watch the Giants and/or Jets and start watching Hofstra from the beginning at 4:00 P.M. or whenever the NFL finishes.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Vegas predicting roughly an 84-69 Hofstra win (HU -14.5, 153.5 O/U).
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
Yes and probably realistic we all know that N.E. isn't 57 points better then Holy Cross just like we weren't 40 + points better then Delaware last year at home in our first meeting. We match up well and should easily win this game with the caveat that we bring at least our "B" GAME. Would like to watch this game hopefully not too much angst.
BTW does anybody know why Miranda hasn't been getting any minutes lately?? Joe has got the "DOGHOUSE out again!!
Miranda - not sure if he's in the doghouse or just not going to be in the rotation - we all know the JAM bench gets shorter and shorter as the season goes on.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Miranda - not sure if he's in the doghouse or just not going to be in the rotation - we all know the JAM bench gets shorter and shorter as the season goes on.
Thanks for responding to my inquiry daHUPride and it's a bit baffling as to why he's not getting ANY minutes. Is he the weakest link in the chain in terms of guards on this team. He has size and seems to have a decent game and plays with energy. What's the story??
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Miranda has made 4 of 5 field goals, and it's impressive to have 10 rebounds and 3 steals in 23 minutes. Silverio had made exactly 35 percent of his threes and 7 of 17 (.412) of his twos. I don't see how Silverio has earned just over four times the minutes of Miranda, 93 to 23. We start four guards, so if Silverio remains the fifth guard, and Mihalich doesn't use the bench much, Miranda won't play much. In addition, Burgess has played 38 minutes and could be the point guard next season. Of the guards who could return next season, none of Ray, Coburn, Silverio, and Miranda get many assists.

https://goholycross.com/news/2019/11/30 ... assic.aspx is Holy Cross' preview titled "Crusaders set to continue play in Boca Raton Beach Classic."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/goholycross.co ... oca19a.pdf is Holy Cross' Game Notes.

https://fausports.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary will have statistics. Now they have statistics for today's first game, and Canisius leads Mercer 42-41 with 15:22 left.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I don’t think it’s any big secret Miranda isn’t getting minutes. He is probably the 7th guard in the depth chart and even with us playing 3-4 guards it doesn’t provide him much opportunity for playing time. Mihalich is known for shortening his bench and if he plays more bench players than usual most of those minutes will go to burgess before Miranda.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Page 3 of the Game Notes I linked to has a table comparing us, Holy Cross, Canisius, and Mercer. We're the best of the four in points per game, point differential per game, field goal percentage, field goal percentage defense, three-point field goal percentage defense, free throw percentage, turnovers per game, and turnover differential per game. Holy Cross said they have "been a solid free throw shooting team," but their percentage of exactly 68 percent is below average. The NCAA average is .696 so far this season and was .706 last season. In the conference rankings, the Summit League leads in free throw percentage, with the CAA in second. Last season, the CAA led with the Summit League in second.

Edit: Mercer led 57-56 before Canisius pulled away to win 76-66. We're 4-0 against Canisius with the last game a 96-85 win in the 2015-2016 season and home opener. We are 0-1 against Mercer, with an 83-72 loss at Mercer in the third game of 1973-1974. Barring a shocking loss today, we won't face Mercer for the first time in my life and the lives of all current undergraduates.

In the Sagarin, we are 136th. Holy Cross is 338th, which is 16th worst of 353 teams. The Sagarin expects us to win by 15.59 (Overall), 14.71 (Predictor), 15.23 (Golden_Mean), and 17.20 (Recent).

https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-ba ... las-vegas/ has us favored by 13.5 with an Over/Under of 152.5. We are 3-3 against the spread with four of six games Over. The four combinations of Win/Over, Win/Under, Lose/Over, and Lose/Under have all happened. That excludes the New York Tech game.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra is starting the same starters. https://fausports.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary has the statistics with Hofstra under the "Mercer" tab, and Holy Cross under the "Canisius" tab. Holy Cross is starting Kyle Copeland (guard), Drew Lowder (guard), Austin Butler (guard), Matt Faw (forward), and Joe Pridgen (forward).

https://goholycross.com/sports/mens-bas ... s?path=mbb has Holy Cross' statistics.

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofs ... Type=audio has free audio. The announcers/hosts/whatever their title is are saying that we should use Trueheart, Schutte, and Hughes. They said we have had bad ending because we get tired, we get beat on the low block, and we allow second chance points. They said that Pemberton scored 22 in this arena as a freshman when we won 88-80 at Florida Atlantic. They said the last time we played Holy Cross was a loss in 2007-2008, but we beat them in 2010-2011. They said we should use the bench if the starters aren't shooting well early and/or we have a big lead. If a coach sees his starters struggling but has the mentality that the bench will be worse, the bench doesn't get a chance to help in that game and to get experience in general. Trueheart is our only bench player with much time for us before this season.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2019 ... cross.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Holy Cross."
Wags

Post by Wags »

Two of the best "N" names to wear a Hofstra uniform are at the game today:

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 4052557826
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Any takes from the first half HC is terrible they have 12 turnovers already
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: Two of the best "N" names to wear a Hofstra uniform are at the game today:

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 4052557826
ProudofPride beat you to it.

I took a break when we were up 8-7 at the first timeout. We went up 11-7, and then Holy Cross made it 11-9. A 16-4 run gave us our largest lead at that point at 27-13. Holy Cross made a 3, we scored 2, and they scored 4 to go down 29-20. A layup by Pemberton and 2 free throws by Buie from a technical made it 33-20. Holy Cross scored 2, and Silverio made a 3 with 1:48 left to go back up 14 at 36-22. The teams alternated with two 2s each. Buie missed with 6 seconds left, and Kante got the offensive rebound and scored at the buzzer to lead by 14 again at 40-26. I stopped typing what players did because the statistics changed during halftime. We had a little time with two forwards as Kante (13), Schutte (8), and Hughes (2) combined for 23 minutes. Our other bench minutes were 8 by Silverio and 3 by Trueheart. Trueheart played from 18:20 left to 15:46 left and the last 34 seconds. Miranda came in with 13:42 left and played 5 seconds before Silverio replaced him.