MBB Trip to Canada

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB Trip to Canada

Post by Cards »

As I scanned the game stats last night I also noticed KW with no assists. My first reaction was hey, that's not good - my second reaction was "I wonder how long before Polito comments on this". And there it is :lol: :lol: :lol: !! However, I completely agree with you Polito, the kid needs to dish with scoring being a second priority. I will however, cut KW some slack in that this was simply the first scrimmage of the season, and his first scrimmage for HU. If this lack of dishing is still evident after the 4 Canada games, then I will be very concerned. The flip side is that DB played only 7 minutes but had 3 assists.

I see these 4 games as the guys simply getting used to playing together and implementing the coaches system (which hopefully includes very hardnosed defense). Watching that 5-7 minute clip of the game showed two defenders on ST and MR that looked like they topped out at maybe 6'4". So I think last nights game was more like a scrimmage (like when we played D2 Molloy). Maybe the game against the team that beat St Francis will be better.

Here's another potential concern - RG 3 for 8 at the FT line. I know its only one scrimmage, but this cannot happen again this year :roll:
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Who is KW? Can we use last names?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Also noticed that the St. Bonnie transfer played...does anyone know if transfers can play in these international games while sitting out? It would appear that that is the case.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jojo it's Ken Wormley our starting point guard
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I'm not so concerned with KW's 0 assists. The 15 points from him were nice to see, and I'm with Cards on this one. Scary to see, but it's his first ever go around with the team. Gotta cut him SOME slack. If this continues then it will be of much more concern for me.

What I am very frightened with though is Rokas's 3-8 at the line. He's gotta get it together. There was no excuses last year for this and there should be none this year. He is a Senior that was at one point the best rebounder in the country and STILL has tons of trouble making a free throw. C'mon. That 3-8 shows no improvement from last season and gives me no hope. Needs to show some improvement these next couple of games or else it'll be another LONG season at the line.
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

Cards wrote:The flip side is that DB played only 7 minutes but had 3 assists.
You'll also see that he turned the ball over 3 times in those 7 minutes and picked up 2 quick fouls. Way too early to panic but if it's obvious to us that the PG position is the Achilles heel of this team, our conference opponents know it too and will game plan accordingly.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if by the time conference play rolls around that neither DB or KW claim the full time roll and both are used as situational pieces to a core guard core of JWF, Pemba and the Frosh J.Ray. Theres enough handle there to be effective and their shooting prowess is incredibly difficult to defend if all three are on the floor together... The trio was 6 of 10 from 3 pt range in that scrimmage in about 65 game minutes between the three.

Nice stat line from Angus. Hopefully he's the supplement to Gustas we needed. That Manta kid was 0-5 from three, that needs to stop, he doesn't need to be a stretch of the three guards above are on the floor.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

BringBackFootball wrote:
Cards wrote:The flip side is that DB played only 7 minutes but had 3 assists.
You'll also see that he turned the ball over 3 times in those 7 minutes and picked up 2 quick fouls. Way too early to panic but if it's obvious to us that the PG position is the Achilles heel of this team, our conference opponents know it too and will game plan accordingly.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if by the time conference play rolls around that neither DB or KW claim the full time roll and both are used as situational pieces to a core guard core of JWF, Pemba and the Frosh J.Ray. Theres enough handle there to be effective and their shooting prowess is incredibly difficult to defend if all three are on the floor together... The trio was 6 of 10 from 3 pt range in that scrimmage in about 65 game minutes between the three.

Nice stat line from Angus. Hopefully he's the supplement to Gustas we needed. That Manta kid was 0-5 from three, that needs to stop, he doesn't need to be a stretch of the three guards above are on the floor.
If you look at the first half stats 2 of those turnovers, 2 of those assists and both fouls all happened in the first half in 2 minutes of play. So probably some weird couple plays or something. I am sure Buie will be fine; he seemed to play the point well last year before he got hurt. And he is definitely a pass first point guard.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

The "Manta Kid" is a freshman from Serbia. I saw him in his first day of practice and he will be a player. Just needs to calm down and settle into his role.
Staff believes that he is one of the team's top five...Great potential!
Pride97

MBB Trip to Canada

Post by Pride97 »

Jordan wrote: That 3-8 shows no improvement from last season and gives me no hope. Needs to show some improvement these next couple of games or else it'll be another LONG season at the line.
Sadly that is an improvement for Rok. That may end up being as big an Achilles heel as the PG situation. Guard play will only get them so far - need an inside presence who can contribute offensively to open up the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Tonight's opponent, Bishop's University played 2 D1 opponents before us. They lost to Canisius on 8/20 81-60, and lost to Northeastern on 8/26 77-61. Competition might be slightly better than UQAM on Tuesday night, but if anything this game is a good comparison to teams we should be at a similar level, obviously Northeastern more so than Canisius.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Anyone hear anything regarding video? facebook or other outlet?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Cards wrote:Anyone hear anything regarding video? facebook or other outlet?

Facebook live if wifi works, which is great because Facebook video is saved and can be watched later if you're not able to watch the whole game tonight. that's not the case with Periscope. https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/9 ... 4269670400
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The cheering section tonight includes the athletic trainer, bus driver, Speedy's girlfriend, the team's academic advisor, and Lizanne Murphy. https://twitter.com/LizzieMurph/status/ ... 6985273344
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Leading, 60 to 22 at halftime.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

85 to 37 beginning of 4th quarter
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Final score: 110-51 :o
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

ProudofPride wrote:Final score: 110-51 :o
Watched the video feed on facebook from the corner of the arena. Those 110 points were scored without Pemberton, Wright-Foreman, and Gustys playing.
Wormley had a much better game tonight but I think Buie has to get a lot of minutes, he looks like the only point guard on the roster.
And yes the competition is bad, but Radovic looks like a player. Trueheart has some talent too. Roster is deep this year if everyone is healthy. Haven't had multiple guys who can actually play the 4 on the team in quite a while.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

I do not understand how anyone can see the players from tht video in the lower corner of the arena . Barely better than nothing.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Here's a tweet with a handwritten box score of last night's game. Is anyone able to interpret anything other than who started and the scoring trends?
https://mobile.twitter.com/vcbballD1/st ... 1483384832
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Any updates on the game against Concordia