2016-17 Athletics Season

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

2016-17 Athletics Season

Post by ProudofPride »

The baseball team's game today officially ended the season for Hofstra athletics. Reflecting back, it was kind of a disappointing year in general, but the good news is most teams are in a great position to be better and show improvement next year. The only teams that made the NCAA tournaments were cross country, and I think that's only because every team gets in. I'm probably most optimistic about volleyball, softball, and both lacrosse teams next year.

Final records:
Baseball: 14-37 (7-17), 8 of 9 in conference, did not make the CAA tournament
Men's Basketball: 15-17 (7-11), finished 7th out of 10, lost the play-in game
Men's Cross Country: 6th out of 6 in the CAA tournament, 32nd out of in the Northeast Regional NCAA tournament
Men's Golf: 9th out of 9 in the CAA tournament
Men's Lacrosse: 11-3 (3-2), 2nd seed in the CAA tournament with an early exit in the first round
Men's Soccer: 9-8-21 (7-1), 1 seed in the CAA tournament and hosted, early exit in first round
Men's Tennis: 9-16 (1-2), lost in 1st round of CAA tournament
Wrestling: 6-11 (2-6), finished 14th place out of 16 in the EIWA tournament
Women's Basketball: 13-18 (5-13), finished 8th out of 10, won play-in game and lost in the quarter finals
Women's Cross Country: 8th out of 9 in the CAA tournament, 33rd out of 37 in the Northeast Regional NCAA tournament
Field Hockey: 9-10 (1-5), did not make the CAA tournament
Women's Golf: 8th of 8 in the CAA tournament
Women's Lacrosse: 8-8 (2-4), did not make the CAA tournament
Women's Soccer: 10-7-1 (4-5), finished 7th of 10, did not make the CAA tournament
Softball: 27-23 (11-8), finished 2nd out of 8, went to the CAA title game
Women's Tennis: 10-17 (0-4), lost in first round of CAA championship
Volleyball:20-10 (10-6), finished 3rd out of 9 in conference, lost in the first round of the CAA championship
stuball888

Re: 2016-17 Athletics Season

Post by stuball888 »

This was the worst in program history overall . Only one team made any headway in their conference tournament. How many teams failed to even make their conference tournament. Time for some teams to be disbanded and replace with some sports we can actually be competitive in. Golf, tennis and cross country need to be replaced. Have we ever been com petitive in conference in any of these sports. Golf has always finished last. tennis never finished past the first round and x-country is just a waste.
Polito

Post by Polito »

"kind of a disappointing year" ??

It was a pretty terrible year in general. I mean it happens, but let's not sugar coat it. Easily one of the worst overall that I can remember over the last 20 years. 1 NCAAT in a sport with no ROI is just atrocious.

Do agree that most sports should be in a much better position next year. We shall see who is ready to actually step up and show it.

With Stu 100% - the athletics dept needs to streamline - why in the world HU fields some teams is beyond me. And I've always felt that way. This dept. needs to FOCUS. And the money needs to be focused.

Golf, tennis, x-crountry?!?? C'mon. I love those sports in general, but this is completely unnecessary at HU. Heck, I'm way over baseball too. No reason whatsoever for HU to continue to get throttled in this sport year after year. WHY??

I know they cost very little, but whatever they do cost needs to be pumped right into Mens Hoops and Mens Lax.

This entire dept is dependent upon the success of Mens Hoops. If that team doesn't start making the NCAAT and producing some real money, the entire program hurts. THEY MUST PRODUCE.

Basketball, Lax, Wrestling, Softball, Volleyball, Soccer. This is HU. And honestly, if there was one sport that should be here, IMO, it's Hockey. I know it costs a lot, but this is the NE, there is a market here, fans here, and it makes sense.

Lose the other stuff and let's start getting serious about actually WINNING instead of spreading thin on sports that just don't move the dial.

Clearly I'm salty recently :lol: Anyone else losing their patience with the nonsense going on, or just me?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I believe we need to field a certain number of sports to maintain our Conference affiliation. Some of these sports mentioned, like golf, tennis, cross country are, I hate to say it, fillers that cost us little yet allow us to maintain our CAA affiliation...but yes, overall VERY disappointing season overall.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We have 17. Need only 14.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Actually it's football but we all know what happened to that sport Also you have to worry about title IX
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Agreed overall a very disappointing year with no NCAAs(don't count cross country). However, I think both soccer teams are set up for success this fall which would be great way to kickstart the 2017/18 year(no pun intended)
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

A great way to kickstart the next season would be a return to football...we have lost so much without that program...alumni support, publicity, prestige, diversified student recruitment and too much more to get in to.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HUSID80 wrote:A great way to kickstart the next season would be a return to football...we have lost so much without that program...alumni support, publicity, prestige, diversified student recruitment and too much more to get in to.
I understand the frustration from that, but we should also appreciate how we have two very solid soccer programs here with two amazing coaches and try to give them as much support as we can this fall.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

This was never about the players or coaches. It's about the administration not giving the coaches enough to work with to be competitive in the CAA . This poor showing this year is not an aberration but a trend to where the athletic program is going. Hofstra has always been reactive instead of being proactive when I comes to the changing landscape of athletics. Women's lax has been left behind as more qualified coaches are being hired We took a flyer on Shannon Smith and she has been mediocre at best while SBU hired Joe Spallina The next great women coach is in our back yard. Hire him ASAPbefore another local tri state school hires him. It's Pat MCCabe at Adelphi Thst where Joe came from
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Adelphi Wlax just won the d2 national championship, their 3rd in the past 4 years.

All of our sports should be regularly competing for at least a CAA title. There's absolutely no excuse for teams to routinely not even make the CAA tournament. I don't even remember the last time baseball team made the CAA tournament. Towson mlax is now in the final 4 after dominating Syracuse yesterday.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Actually it's football but we all know what happened to that sport Also you have to worry about title IX
Eliminating one sport for both genders would be fine with Title IX.
ProudofPride wrote: I don't even remember the last time baseball team made the CAA tournament.
Our last time in the CAA Tournament was in 2012 when we won 1 game which was against VCU. I want to e-mail Hofstra to tell them that we started 2012 at Florida State but the website has Florida's logo.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

At least they got the state right Evan
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

WOW!
Never even realized the sharp descent in our sports - ALL of our sports.
Gosh - doesn't this fall on Hathaway's lap??? He came here and in his first year at Hofstra, Hathaway oversaw a department that produced four Colonial Athletic Association championship and NCAA Tournament teams, as well as two other teams that reached the conference championship game. And now this record, mentioned above by PoP.
PATHETIC from our leadership. SAD for our alum/fans. TOUGH for coaches to recruit.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Pop please go back 8 years and give us a tally of CAA championships each year. That will give everyone here the reality of the situation
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

daHUPride wrote:WOW!
Never even realized the sharp descent in our sports - ALL of our sports.
Gosh - doesn't this fall on Hathaway's lap??? He came here and in his first year at Hofstra, Hathaway oversaw a department that produced four Colonial Athletic Association championship and NCAA Tournament teams, as well as two other teams that reached the conference championship game. And now this record, mentioned above by PoP.
PATHETIC from our leadership. SAD for our alum/fans. TOUGH for coaches to recruit.

And that's exactly why I felt the need to bring this up. No excuse for underperformance by pretty much every sporti understand teams having a down year or a rebuilding year every once in a while, but for every team to be this bad, there has to be something else going on. Us fans an alumni deserve way better than what we were "treated" to this year. We need to see results asap. Individual games during the season don't mean anything if the teams don't produce when it ultimately matters most.

And Stu, I'm pretty swamped with work stuff now, I may have time to do that this weekend though.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We all know that operating budgets for many sports have been cut back and coaches are increasingly being asked to fund raise...this obviously takes away from their primary responsibilities which is to recruit, run the program and coach...it may have been masked for a couple of seasons, because of some past successes, but where is it going to take us?
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

There are only FOUR out of seventeen HU teams with greater than a .500 record. Maybe as HUSID80 has mentioned, some sports have become underfunded, so an evaluation could occur to determined which athletic teams can no longer sustain the cost. Hopefully, the savings of the eliminated teams could be distributed to the ones remaining. My concern would be that the HU athletic budget would be pared down to reflect this change, not kept at the previous level. Many northeast colleges have altered what sports they sponsor. The change could be because of title 9, student interest, weather, etc. HU uses the rental of the Mack Arena and Shuart Stadium as an income source, does any of this income return to HU athletics? Does this income go into some type of HU General Fund? Does any of this income go towards the upkeep of these facilities?
Last edited by The Shadow on Tue May 23, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Like I said a trend and NOT an aberation
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

stuball888 wrote:Pop please go back 8 years and give us a tally of CAA championships each year. That will give everyone here the reality of the situation
http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/c ... champs.pdf