Charles Jenkins in Serbia

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jordan

Charles Jenkins in Serbia

Post by Jordan »

I have just recently stumbled upon a video that amazed me. I have always followed Jenkins on social media since he's begun his career in Serbia, and have noticed that he is certainly idolized as a hero over there (and I believe won championship with them?) Maybe some of you have some more accurate updates. Nonetheless, I have always been hoping to one day see his return to the NBA, but after watching this video it was clear how crippling his bench spot was in the NBA. And watching many highlights, he certainly is the Charles Jenkins we know and love.

These crowds are phenomenal and clearly the games he is playing are not sparsely attended. This video makes the NBA crowds look like a joke. Maybe this was some sort of playoff game, but if this is any indication as to the atmosphere he is playing in, then I am more than proud of where one of our most treasure alums has ended up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoNnFna95Cs
Hofstra

Re: Charles Jenkins in Serbia

Post by Hofstra »

Nice find.. Charles was one of the best. So happy and proud of him. While I was watching your video, I found some others recommended on the side panel.. Good stuff..
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Thanks for posting, Jordan. CJ is a rock star in Serbia.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I thought he had moved up to a higher league now and is playing (and doing well) in Italy. I will try and follow up on this.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Captain wrote:I thought he had moved up to a higher league now and is playing (and doing well) in Italy. I will try and follow up on this.
That did happen, but I believe he didn't get as much playing time and returned back to Serbia. Also, he seemed to make big impact in Serbia and the fans loved him. I remember his Instagram being crowded with comments from saddened Serbian fans when he left, and very ecstatic and welcoming when he returned. He's even earned a nickname "Djenka"

(Here is a screenshot from his Wikipedia page)
Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 7.45.09 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Wonder what he gets paid.. I am sure he makes a nice living.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Probably in the 200k range
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wonder if they make shirts that say "I"m a pretty big deal in Serbia" to spoof the ones that say that for Japan...

LOL
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jenkins is teammates with somebody who scored 25 points at Hofstra, albeit after Jenkins graduated. http://gohofstra.com/news/2012/11/17/MB ... ath=mbball is about our win over South Dakota State, who had Nate Wolters, on November 16, 2012.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I don't speak Serbian, but it seems as though that Jenkins's team won another championship (3 years in a row) and this year he was awarded MVP. Bravo!

Highlight Video: https://twitter.com/ABA_League/status/8 ... 8316848130
Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 5.55.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 5.55.41 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jordan wrote: I don't speak Serbian, but it seems as though that Jenkins's team won another championship (3 years in a row) and this year he was awarded MVP. Bravo!
Europe has champions leagues for clubs from different countries, most famously in soccer, but also a EuroLeague for basketball. The EuroLeague regular season had 16 teams play each opponent twice. The 30 game regular season ended last week. Crvena zvezda mts lost at Darüşşafaka Doğuş of Turkey. Both teams finished 16-14, and Darüşşafaka Doğuş won the head-to-head tiebreaker for the eighth and final playoff spot. Crvena zvezda mts was in playoff position for a majority of the season, including after every game from 15 through 29.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

EvanJ wrote:
Jordan wrote: I don't speak Serbian, but it seems as though that Jenkins's team won another championship (3 years in a row) and this year he was awarded MVP. Bravo!
Europe has champions leagues for clubs from different countries, most famously in soccer, but also a EuroLeague for basketball. The EuroLeague regular season had 16 teams play each opponent twice. The 30 game regular season ended last week. Crvena zvezda mts lost at Darüşşafaka Doğuş of Turkey. Both teams finished 16-14, and Darüşşafaka Doğuş won the head-to-head tiebreaker for the eighth and final playoff spot. Crvena zvezda mts was in playoff position for a majority of the season, including after every game from 15 through 29.
So Crvena Zvezda did not make the playoffs? So what exactly was this championship win? A secondary tournament (i.e., NIT, CBI, CIT)?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jordan wrote:
EvanJ wrote:
So Crvena Zvezda did not make the playoffs? So what exactly was this championship win? A secondary tournament (i.e., NIT, CBI, CIT)?
The championship win was against other Serbian clubs. Champions leagues are above domestic leagues. For soccer, the top countries get 4 clubs in the Champions League, some countries get 2 or 3, and most of the 54 countries get 1. For the EuroLeague basketball (which Crvena Zvezd finished ninth in), some teams get automatic bids every year and some teams qualify from their domestic league. The NCAA analogy would be a domestic league to be a conference and a Champions League or EuroLeague to be an NCAA Tournament. The big difference for soccer (and possibly for basketball but I don't know) is that rather than champions league games being played after the domestic season ends, champions league games are scattered in between domestic league games, so clubs in champions leagues play more games (possibly with a lot of travel) over the course of the same amount of time. To make an analogy to an American sport, imagine if the NBA or NHL had no postseason, with the regular season ending when the postseason ends, and the top teams from the previous season having playoff games mixed in and often being less rested than their opponent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%8 ... draw_dates is about the 2017-2018 UEFA (Europe) Champions League for soccer. Most leagues end from April to June. Some clubs have already been determined from leagues that play seasons entirely in one year. You can see how often Champions League games are played and where clubs start in the Champions League based on how they did in their 2016-2017 domestic league.

It would be a big accomplishment if you were the best player on the ninth best soccer club in Europe. Being the best player on the ninth best basketball team in Europe isn't as impressive.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Thank you so much Evan! I have been trying to figure out their system for quite some time now.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Charles is currently playing for Olympiacos in the Euroleague.

Today is the 10 year anniversary of his senior day game at the Mack.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

He was such a stud and a good representative of our school.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Can't beleive its been 10 years...what a player! And he's having a great career in Europe!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

He was the man. One of the best to ever step on the court for us. So happy for his success.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I hope he can come back to Hofstra in some capacity when his playing days are over.
Always a place for class acts like Charles.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:He was such a stud and a good representative of our school.
So true - great memories