Speedy Leaving?

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Speedy Leaving?

Post by stuball888 »

Just saw Steve Claxton . Speedys father at the Shoprite in Uniondale.With the opening at Villanova he is seriously thinking of going to Villanova. They would be offering him 4x what he makes at Hofstra. He still owns a home in Philly where is brother Mike and sister Stacey still live. Also the opportunity to get a head coaching job would be accelerated working under Jay Wright. Philly is only 2 hours away from his mom and dad. Ask yourself, what would you do if you were in his shoes.
Hofstra

Re: Speedy Leaving?

Post by Hofstra »

You asked him all of these questions? Or you saw him in Shopright and just assumed this?
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

April Fools.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I have known Steve for 20 years we do go back that far. I belive Stacey is a school teacher in the Philadelphia school system. They the Claxtons are a close knit family
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Stu's April Fools post is a tradition I always look forward to...
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Two years ago I put up an aprils fool joke. That actually came thru. It was about Jenkins transferring out and going back home in New Jersey to play
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

stuball888 wrote:Two years ago I put up an aprils fool joke. That actually came thru. It was about Jenkins transferring out and going back home in New Jersey to play
Haha I knew it was joke as soon as I saw the title, considering I brought this idea up a few days ago after Dunleavy was announced to go to Quinnipiac.
The good news here is that Villanova is no longer looking for an assistant, they hired from within and promoted the DOBO, and the video coordinator was promoted to DOBO. So now their open spot is video coordinator, which Speedy probably wouldn't want, since that's not actually coaching.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Stu I'll admit you got me.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I get one every year. My favorite was a new recruit from Israel named Selvin Dove. The grandson of the late great Sonny Dove of St Johns
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Based on our coaching staff lately, I didn't even think twice about this being such a negative. Speedy hasn't done much to the eye here to make Villanova warrant him on their bench.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Hofstra wrote:Based on our coaching staff lately, I didn't even think twice about this being such a negative. Speedy hasn't done much to the eye here to make Villanova warrant him on their bench.
JWF came here to play because of Speedy. It's good to have him on the staff.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

And Buie....probably Pemberton as well
Polito

Post by Polito »

Amen - Speedy is the LEAST of the staff issues.

Recently and right now he's the only one recruiting worth a damn. Goldwire and others have mentioned him by name, and he's the only reason apparently HU has even been in contention with players of that caliber.

Really makes you wonder about the others... I have serious questions as to the value and production of the rest of the staff on the trail.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:Amen - Speedy is the LEAST of the staff issues.

Recently and right now he's the only one recruiting worth a damn. Goldwire and others have mentioned him by name, and he's the only reason apparently HU has even been in contention with players of that caliber.

Really makes you wonder about the others... I have serious questions as to the value and production of the rest of the staff on the trail.
Sorry Polito but you really don't know who is recruiting whom...for example I believe that Lamer Barrett recruited Jalen Ray...Virginia is where he's from and coached for many years...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Would certainly make sense... felt like maybe he had a lot to do with Ray and the recruitment of Greg Jones...

Of course we don't know it all, a lot of behind the scenes stuff, but we do know this:

Several top players, both who signed and didn't, have cited Speedy by NAME as being a primary factor in their decision to attend. IMO he is the recruiting juice, at least on the guard front. I witnessed first hand his interaction with Carter and believe 100% he would've been at HU running the point this season if La Salle had not jumped in.

I would very much like to know who was Wormley's primary recruiter...quite curious about that one - would tell me a lot.
Cards

Post by Cards »

[quote="
Several top players, both who signed and didn't, have cited Speedy by NAME as being a primary factor in their decision to attend. IMO he is the recruiting juice, at least on the guard front. I witnessed first hand his interaction with Carter and believe 100% he would've been at HU running the point this season if La Salle had not jumped in.
.[/quote]

My sources said that late in the Carter recruiting effort an important character issue was exposed and HU immediately withdrew all support and attempts to sign. From what I had heard, it was the correct move.