Texas and Smart Set to Begin Home and Home with VCU

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Texas and Smart Set to Begin Home and Home with VCU

Post by Polito »

The series is part of Shaka Smart’s buyout as part of a provision which was executed when he left VCU for Texas in 2015.
https://www.fanragsports.com/news/roths ... me-series/

Why exactly didn't HU do this with Jay?

I def give credit to JM for securing games against his alma mater. La Salle has been one of the bigger regular season 'names' to come to HU.
HUSID80

Re: Texas and Smart Set to Begin Home and Home with VCU

Post by HUSID80 »

Look for Smart to take the Georgetown job. All not a bowl of cherries in Longhorn land.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote:
The series is part of Shaka Smart’s buyout as part of a provision which was executed when he left VCU for Texas in 2015.
https://www.fanragsports.com/news/roths ... me-series/

Why exactly didn't HU do this with Jay?

I def give credit to JM for securing games against his alma mater. La Salle has been one of the bigger regular season 'names' to come to HU.
There could be teams who are willing to play a home and home with an Atlantic 10 team like VCU is now but not willing to play a home and home with a CAA team.
Hofstra was bad in their first two seasons in the CAA. Having Villanova play at Hofstra one of those seasons could have provided more media attention and ticket sales, but Hofstra wouldn't have won.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HUSID80 wrote:Look for Smart to take the Georgetown job. All not a bowl of cherries in Longhorn land.
You think he leaves Texas after 1 year? He has a nice kid coming in from Oak Hill, Matt Coleman. I don't think he leaves after 2 years.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Related to this, Delaware MBB just announced that they're hosting Notre Dame in December. Has Brey played Delaware since he left to coach ND?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Yes under their previous coach. I believe it was a home and home
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Delaware played at Notre Dame on December 7, 2013, but they haven't hosted Notre Dame since at least 2005-2006. See http://static.caasports.com/custompages ... laware.htm and you can change the 200506 in the URL to later seasons.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Just more proof that HUs scheduling excuses over the years across multiple staffs is a bunch of lazy BS.

Kudo's to JM for being one of the first I have seen to make some improvements in that department. Still a ways to go compared to the better CAA programs who have secured top HOME games, but it's definitely better under JM than anyone else over the last 20+ years.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Kentucky was supposed to be a "home" game- not their fault that they couldn't have the building done in time. Having Kentucky and Villanova as home games (even if it's across the street) in back to back years definitely is a step in the right direction.