CAA Play-in Game vs. Delaware 3/3/17

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jordan

Re: CAA Play-in Game vs. Delaware 3/3/17

Post by Jordan »

garyg wrote:Based on talent levels they should have done more
Yeah, winning in overtime in a tossup game. That's a lot to ask for out of a coach. At some point it just becomes a good game of competitive basketball that the coach can not be blamed for...I mean, we were CAA Regular Season Champions. We never had done that before. Seriously HOW much more SHOULD have been done...But of course, I can agree they should've done more this year with the level of talent.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Well, a fitting ending to a season that was marked by what Coach had said for much of the year... being "on the wrong side of close." Except that I still think Hofstra is a better team than Delaware. And when you're up 47-39 at the half, you HAVE to put it away. As noted above, to lose that game to a program that was in shambles in the offseason (they were late to even find a new AD and head coach), is very disappointing. Wasn't expecting to beat UNCW, but expected to beat Delaware by about 8 points (only needed to play them even in the second half to do that) and to give UNCW a good run before falling short late. To not even have that opportunity on Saturday was disappointing.

This team was never built to contend after what was lost from last year's team, but it also wasn't built to finish eighth and to be one-and-done in the first round, without at least a win in that round or a first-round bye before losing a first game in the tourney in the quarters, at minimum. So no way to sugar coat it. It was an underachieving, disappointing year.

That said, it's an easy one to get over, because in the big picture, not much of a difference between losing on Friday or Saturday in this tournament. It's easily forgotten either way, unlike last year, which will still sting years from now, when you're that close to the ultimate conference goal and can't quite attain it. Those are the ones you fret over, not a year like this, which is a lost season regardless of whether you lose to UD or would have lost to UNCW.

One thing that's really puzzling in Friday's postgame as it relates to what happened down the stretch of the season was the use (or lack of it) with Greer. He was a guy who was playing well earlier in the year. And as has often been the case with others in the past, he was never developed further. Instead, he regressed. He went from being a pretty useful starter to a guy who played a total of 13 minutes over the team's final six games, including not seeing the floor at all on Friday... that, after Coach complaining that the team had to "play small, basically playing four guards and couldn't get any second shots." Well, they had Greer to help with that, but they never built off of his earlier-season successes and they allowed him to regress into a complete non-factor in a game when Coach complains of the same things that a more developed Greer could have alleviated. Some of that's on Greer, but it's also not like he never showed any use earlier in the season. So it's a little tough to hear the "woe is us, we were too small to win" routine after the loss on Friday.

Anyway, bottom line, the ultimate goal was there for the taking last year, so that one hurts. This year, it never was realistically, so no big deal to end this way. And they discovered a two good scorers in JWF and Pemberton. If they can get Rok back to some semblance of how he played last year (even though it was Green who helped make him look good), can build around those three, and decide to finally make defense a priority, maybe they'll have something next year. We'll see.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

garyg wrote:Based on talent levels they should have done more
This is the bottom line. We can debate all we want, but coach should get more out of the group he has. He doesn't develop bench players, he doesn't value defensive play, and he doesn't make enough in game adjustments. He is stubborn and for this, we don't reach our potential. We have talent that should be playing in the NCAAs.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

But we have a nicer stadium and a great practice facility. Like I said before season began we lost three fifths of our starting five and predicted a ,500 season although I hoped I was wrong at the time.

Let us see what next year brings. that will be the defining year for JAM.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

To Bobs credit he did predict a .500 season. He saw something that the rest of us didnt see. We all thought a top4 finish and 20 plus wins. So bob heres to you my friend. Now looking forward. Question is will the coach be in the hot seat next season or does he still get another year. I want the roster to have at least 12 positions filled and no redshirts. We can save the other for a grad transfer if one pops up. Expect the unexpected. Guys might not pan out and injuries will occur. You can bank on it. have 10 or 11 and you are in for the same disappointment this year brought.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

bobe13 wrote: Let us see what next year brings. that will be the defining year for JAM.
Yes. A full season without Juan'Ya and Ameen. CAA Championship year not weighted in the back of everybody's mind. Rok and Hunter's Senior year (and Jamall). JWF a developed Junior. Buie back and healthy. Eli experienced. Plus much more. Yes. Next year is his defining year. What should be a decent recipe for success, and a prime non transition year. I felt this year was a tad bit unfair to judge JAM as a defining year. Next year is most certainly the time for JAM to show everything he's got.
Polito

Post by Polito »

You're damn right it is. Looks like this is something we all agree on: next year is IT - prove your worth and win... or move on. And there will not be a single excuse accepted. The 'realism' and 'realistic' view is simple: as has been mentioned, the FACT is that JM has underachieved in comparison to his talent.

42-29 in the 2nd half against a rookie coach with a makeshift team is an EMBARRASSMENT. There is NO defense of JM's in-game coaching and X's and O's, the proof is clear. Chucking up 3's is not a plan. Pitiful job, and he is accountable for it.

Only his talent wins, as I said, DESPITE his coaching, not because of it. And frankly he's only won with Green, done NOTHING without him. Imagine Green decided not to follow him here? Wow. :shock: What would JM have produced? S C A R Y. He, his staff, and his philosophy are losing in the CAA. CHANGE IT.

I understand he won 44 games WITH Green - he also has won only 25 without him. He underachieved with Green, that is not debatable. The expectations were clear, fair, and unmet. Get it done next year or the only fraud around here will be the HC.

I believe Keatts was brought on for about 300k - may make 500k now. STILL a bargain, esp if he goes dancing yet again. At the very least, he'll have produced a CIT, NCAA, NIT appearance in 3 out of 3 yrs. JM has a disappointing/consolation NIT in 4.

Sorry, but where's the value? What is HU getting for the price tag? Leave your biased friendships aside, and tell me based on facts and business, is this worth 650k?

Every time you post, he gets a raise....
- LOL ok that was funny dutchiedoright, I truly :lol:

I would worry except I know HU can't afford it!

:idea: You gave me a better idea: Every year that Mihalich underachieves he takes a 25k pay cut. How about that? Wonder if he'd start taking things serious then. I bet he changes real fast. See that's how business works. You underperform for 4 straight years and get demoted or let go. You produce, or you part ways. Nothing to do with fair. That's life.

"Runner-up" <---> YEP, that right there just about sums it up for Mihalich in the CAA. The truth hurts. FIX IT.