kerrywoodwins20

Re: CAA Tournament

Post by kerrywoodwins20 »

These kids have no pride...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wasn't worth watching.

Sorry HUSID, my patience is gone. This was a joke, and Mihalich is accountable. 0 coaching or control of his team. This is his program, and it blows.

I've had enough - spent a LOT of energy and time supporting this, and I'm over it. Win or get the hell out and quite wasting all of our time.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

You guys are "typical".

You have lost your card!!!!

We won 44 games in 2 years!!!

Who got Juan ya here ?!?!!!
Why did he come?!?!

Because we got the Skip Prosser award winner to come to our dead in the water program !!!!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

dutchiedoright wrote:You guys are "typical".

You have lost your card!!!!

We won 44 games in 2 years!!!

Who got Juan ya here ?!?!!!
Why did he come?!?!

Because we got the Skip Prosser award winner to come to our dead in the water program !!!!
Agreed, we need some perspective here. We were projected to be sixth and we underachieved a bit. Two future stars emerged in JWF and Eli. Plenty to build upon if we learn the lessons of this year. We need to get bigger and better defensively. Joe and Co have plenty of experience and success. They Will bounce back strong next year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

JM's recruiting and ability to attract talent has NEVER been in question from me. I have vehemently defended him in that regard on THIS board for years.

But coaching?? Holy hell, it's atrocious. 4 years of underperforming. That's what has been produced thus far. For about $650k a year, give or take a buck. What exactly do you see? Cuz those are the actual facts.

Trust me, gaining Green and Tank was fantastic. But please tell me what was accomplished with them? The NIT? I'm sorry, I missed where that was the goal. I missed where that was fulfilling the reason they came here. Last year was a FAILURE. Let's be fair and bold enough to call it as it is.

And right now, it's starting to look like that is the PEAK :o :shock: and that is SCARY.

The talent Mihalich has attracted isn't helping his case. It's making the case MORE that he has failed this program and doesn't have what it takes to produce a CAA level NCAAT team.

I want results, period. And I'm not apologizing for it. The honeymoon ended last year. And that's called D1 life where you are paid handsomely to PRODUCE your worth by WINNING championships and going dancing. It's people who have no standard and a million excuses that are adding to the problem here.

Do you guys realize what Keatts has done and is doing? 3 straight 1st place finishes. Dancing in his SECOND year. On track to do it AGAIN in his THIRD. See THAT is top level coaching - THAT is worth $650k a year. THAT is worth following, and spending time and money on. He's 3 years in, took over a fledgling program (sounds familiar??), and yet is both recruiting and developing talent like crazy, has built a program that plays both O and D (imagine that!), and you guys are sitting here talking about well "IF they learn, IF they can fill the gaps, IF they recognize the wake up call, IF they finally stop being boneheaded and adjust philosophy to actually win in this league, IF they can build on the talent, IF IF IF" - guys it's been 4 years. No more talking like it's year 1.

JM just schooled in the conf tourney PLAY IN game by a R O O K I E coach with a junkyard team, after being UP *10*. That is a JOKE folks. Man up and call this staff out for it. It is 100% unacceptable.

Standards people... >>> RAISE THEM.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Polito, you need to show a little more respect for the Hens. They're more than a "junkyard" team. After all, they're playing today and we're not.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Jojogunne wrote:Polito, you need to show a little more respect for the Hens. They're more than a "junkyard" team. After all, they're playing today and we're not.
Couldn't agree more with your comment Jojogunne. They definitely aren't a "junkyard" team considering they made it past first round... :P

Mihalic is a terrible coach. It didn't take me until the past few games to notice this - I have thought this since the beginning of the season. For example, did anyone see their "rookie" coach last night? Barely any screaming or preposterous arm flailing. WOW! The Hen's coach was very cool calm and collected - probably because he coaches his team properly and has all the confidence that they know what they are doing as a result. Mihalic on the other hand sucks as a coach and always looks like a lunatic, screaming constantly and throwing his hand all over, I think one of his arms may fly into the stands one day :D . His antics don't do anything productive and I have noticed several times him yelling at our individual players on and off the court which can only diminish confidence and cause irritation - to EVERYONE. No one wants to hustle for someone who shows no appreciation - that's just my opinion.

At the end of the day they lost and JM deserves it.
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOL beating Mihalich and this HU squad hardly makes UD a force. They had NO HC until the SUMMER and not a full team until the FALL. Scrapyard team with 1 player.

And if that ROOKIE coach was able to assemble a better team in 3 months before the start of the season than Mihalich could do in year 4, then there is nothing else that can even be said. That's worthy of being put on notice.

In my world a performance like that = a pink slip or a bankrupt business. Any of you perform like that and keep your job or business running after 4 years?? Right, didn't think so.

No argument there Mike34, JM absolutely deserved this early exit. Hasn't earned his high pay yet, but sure did earn this season and that loss. Maybe he should've brought his Skip Prosser trophy to scare Ingelsby. Hell, let the statue coach. Same result, except less technicals.

Maybe now he'll actually man up, admit he's wrong, and do something about it... But I doubt it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Anyone think Towson now has a legit chance to win title?

If so, that would make three of our fellow northern schools in the past four years to win before Hofstra could. :roll:

Not sure if it was more a function of Northeastern's Jekyll & Hyde act this year, but Towson has clearly looked the best so far in this tourney. Charleston wasn't too impressive against JMU, so Towson looks like a good bet to reach the finals, and if that happens, if they can use their physicality to slow down the high-powered offense of either UNCW or W&M, they could take it all.

Also, if UNCW were to lose a close one in the finals, any chance the CAA becomes a two-bid league this year? They'd be 28-6. RPI is currently 32.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Wags wrote:Anyone think Towson now has a legit chance to win title?

If so, that would make three of our fellow northern schools in the past four years to win before Hofstra could.
I don't mind that as much as you'd think. Maybe that'd give the North some well deserved credibility and convince them to move the tourney back up here (New Nassau Coliseum maybe?!?) But, a man can dream, can't he... *sigh*
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Well so much for any "upsets." The two chalk, and most Southern teams in the League will be facing off on their home turf for the Championship tonight.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

The class of the CAA this year, I'm excited for the game!

Hopefully Charleston gets an NIT bid this year if they get beaten tonight, I'm pulling for them regardless, UNCW has an outside shot at an at-large if they lose tonight, it would be amazing to see two CAA squads in the NCAAT again, the league is flying under the radar yet again this season.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Jordan wrote: I don't mind that as much as you'd think. Maybe that'd give the North some well deserved credibility and convince them to move the tourney back up here (New Nassau Coliseum maybe?!?) But, a man can dream, can't he... *sigh*
If the CAA was smart, they would move the tournament to the Nassau Coliseum. The north schools don't travel south that well but would show up more to a locally held conference tournament. Hofstra had 5,000 for 2 straight America East finals so we have already proven that.

I think the 2 best attended programs, UNCW and COC would travel anywhere. So the CAA should ask themselves, would more UNCW and COC fans travel north versus HU, NU DU fans traveling south, and also would the fans in the North show up if it was held in north. To me, the highest attendance they could achieve for the CAA tournament would happen at a place like Nassau Coliseum if marketed correctly.

Does anyone know the attendance for this weekend's games? Didn't look like good crowds at all from what I could tell on TV.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

They listed the crowd at 4,708
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Should be about the same tonight...lose a few from W&M and Towson, gain locals from Charleston and UNCW. Shame we are on CBSSomething while the MAAC is on ESPN2
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Yes and we will see Cluess trying to lead his team to a sixth NCAA appearance under his watch.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Could not care less about this game tonight, and who reps the CAA and in what tourney. I get it from a general hoops fan perspective, sure it will be good basketball. But in terms of HU, it's just another year where HU is nowhere to be found in any relevant post-season.

Exciting? Sure, for UNCW and CofC. And this has ZERO benefit to HU. HU continues to fade away into irrelevance...

The CAA did a pitiful job with the champ game. No exposure whatsoever. People shouldn't have to put in effort to watch the title game of a near top 10 conf. That is really ridiculous, and I hope the school AD's have voiced this to the commish.

Jordan, I know you're young, and a good fella from when we met, so I won't go wild on you, BUT your comment about not being bothered by another 'northern' team making the dance before HU is exactly the problem around here.

A bunch of people rooting for everyone else, and accepting mediocrity and failure from the only team that matters here.

NOT OK. This attitude needs to change. That is weak and for losers, and we cannot allow ourselves to be cool with that. This is about WINNING. Let's have an EXPECTATION for it. ROI folks, R O I.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Polito, we have to face facts. Do you expect "Jordan" to not pay attention because his team is no longer involved? Exposure to our conference is always great. Never know what might come from tonights game. I will be watching tonight, as I am sure many other of the 8 teams fan bases that didnt make it. Cant be jealous, its an ugly trait. We have to hope the team that makes the dance from the CAA represents us well.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:Polito, we have to face facts. Do you expect "Jordan" to not pay attention because his team is no longer involved? Exposure to our conference is always great. Never know what might come from tonights game. I will be watching tonight, as I am sure many other of the 8 teams fan bases that didnt make it. Cant be jealous, its an ugly trait. We have to hope the team that makes the dance from the CAA represents us well.
I'm always a Hofstra fan first, but I'm also a CAA fan second. Just because I'd much rather be watching Hofstra playing in the title game right now doesn't mean I can't also enjoy the same game (in a different way) with UNCW against Charleston, or that I shouldn't root for tonight's winner to carry the CAA banner as far as it can in the NCAAT.

For me, it depends on how much you hate your rivals and who consider them to be. I always want the Mets or Giants to win. But when they haven't, I've rooted for the Mets'' NL East rivals like the Braves, Phillies and Marlins to beat the Yankees in the World Series, just because I don't like the Yankees. Conversely, I always root for whoever plays the Giants' NFC East rival, the Cowboys, just because I don't like them. I don't feel the same way about any of Hofstra's rivals. Other CAA schools feel like my college hoops brothers. I always want to beat them really badly every time I play them, but when they're simply better, and get to a point I'd like to see Hofstra attain instead, I still root for them to have success against others "outside the CAA family." The only way I can see the justification for rooting against that is that it hurts you because their success helps them recruit better against you. But I still say, when it's not you, root for the league and then just recruit, coach, play even better to match that same level.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Big contrast in styles is very interesting in tonight's title game.

UNCW trying to hard to speed up the tempo, but we the old adage: it's always easier to slow a team down than it is to speed a team up.

The tempo is favoring Charleston so far. 11-10, Cougars almost halfway through the first half.

I think UNCW will still score enough and Charleston will eventually have trouble keeping up. The Seahawks have been the best team all year. I don't think that changes tonight.