Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: Men's Lax 2017

Post by stuball888 »

According to the website `1,411.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I was there- the crowd filled in as the game went along. Nothing major, honestly. I was a little disappointed with the size of it. It was also cold out last night, which may have kept a few people home, but mostly keeps the noise level down. Could hear a pin drop at times out there, even with a few thousand people. The school offered all staff members four free tickets plus vouchers for a pretzel and soda to try and get the numbers up. Not that there's much of a student presence anyway, but it was spring break this week, so aside from a few of the spring athletes, no students to be found. Need the weather to turn to really get out the good crowds.

In terms of the game, felt like the Providence game all over again, except the D stepped up instead of waiting for Jack to make another save. Also, the two man down situation, while incredibly dumb to get into in the first place, did a great job.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I thought it was a decent crowd for the night, a few high schools showed up, ultimately people don't want to sit out in low 40s weather, I can't say I blame them. Pushing the season into February has hurt attendance in the northeast.

Shuart Stadium needs a paint job badly. Hopefully the school takes care of that in the spring before the ncaa quarterfinals.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Other news, St Bonaventure is adding men's lacrosse, and looking for a conference.
HofstraPride1

Men's Lax 2017

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HofstraHockey wrote:Other news, St Bonaventure is adding men's lacrosse, and looking for a conference.
Could easily see CAA adding them for insurance reasons in case someone else leaves, although western New York is quite a hike. Also wouldn't shock me if Atlantic 10 tried forming lacrosse league with Bonaventure, St. Joe's, UMass and Richmond and two associate members to get the six required for automatic bid. In that scenario CAA would need to replace UMass with someone to have minimum of six members.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Could see them trying to add some teams from the AE to form a super conference. Have a northern and southern division
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Also would a div2 team be allowed to compete at div1. Either NYIT or Post. Does NJIT have a conference. That could be another option
Cards

Post by Cards »

stuball888 wrote:Also would a div2 team be allowed to compete at div1. Either NYIT or Post. Does NJIT have a conference. That could be another option
My understanding is that D2 and D3 schools can have one mens and one womens team play in D1, with the rest of the teams playing in their overall schools respective division. I recall years ago when some of the local schools did exactly that.

That being said, I know that Adelphi, NYIT and Post all play lacrosse in D2. They do very well at the D2 level and typically are ranked. They draw lots of local talent, but I don't think that they could compete in the CAA with their current talent levels. My nephew is on partial scholarship at NYIT and he is not close to D1 talent level.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

The A10 would now have four men's lacrosse members (UMass, Richmond, St. Joseph's and St. Bonaventure) and would have to add two programs to get to the minimum NCAA requirement of six. There are currently three Division 1 programs that are independents (NJIT, Cleveland State, and Hampton). UMass (CAA), Richmond (Southern), and St. Joseph's (Northeast) would have to leave their present conferences. Both the Northeast and Southern would now have more than the required six, but the CAA would be down to five. So an A10 conference would have an effect on the HU program. Also consider that CAA lacrosse member Fairfield is a MAAC member for their other programs. If the CAA now becomes a league with fewer than six members (like the ACC), they would lose the automatic NCAAT bid. There are currently 17 bids to the NCAAT, 9 automatic from the conferences, and eight at large. The last two conferences in RPI have a play in game and the winner goes on. The ACC makes up the majority of the at large bids, this is why the CAA championship is so important to win and be assured of a bid.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Cards wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Also would a div2 team be allowed to compete at div1. Either NYIT or Post. Does NJIT have a conference. That could be another option
My understanding is that D2 and D3 schools can have one mens and one womens team play in D1, with the rest of the teams playing in their overall schools respective division. I recall years ago when some of the local schools did exactly that.

That being said, I know that Adelphi, NYIT and Post all play lacrosse in D2. They do very well at the D2 level and typically are ranked. They draw lots of local talent, but I don't think that they could compete in the CAA with their current talent levels. My nephew is on partial scholarship at NYIT and he is not close to D1 talent level.
You can have one exempt sport and compete at a higher level like John's Hopkins is Div 1 in lacrosse ans D 111 for all other sports.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

The only colleges that I am aware of that are D3 for the rest of their programs and D1 for men's lacrosse are Hobart and Johns Hopkins. These are both lacrosse programs that have been established long before the current NCAA designations for divisions was established. I believe that JHU is D1 for women's lacrosse also since HU recently had a game with them. By the way, I also believe that NYIT is D1 in baseball, so the switch for the NYIT men's lacrosse team would become more complicated if you can only have one division 1 program.
Last edited by The Shadow on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yes Hopkins is Div 1 in women's lacrosse as well...I'm not. Sure about exemptions for women's sports but it looks like it's the same as for the men.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

There's a large number of schools that play DI men's and women's ice hockey that are not DI school- RPI, RIT, Union, St Lawrence, American International College, just to name a few. Much more prominent in smaller sports that need members.

If I were NYIT, I'd be much more inclined to put lacrosse at the DI level, where they could be competitive and make a run, where they get absolutely lost in the baseball picture.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

HH isn't Clarkson D 1 for hockey as well????
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

A few years back didnt we get a transfer from NYIT who played at a high level for us.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Clarkson is also DI- I just didn't want to name every single school. Their women just won the DI national championship, in fact.

Back to lacrosse news, team will be wearing some retro jerseys this Saturday. They didn't get the shorts to go with it, unfortunately, but still a good look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

And, not to hijack the thread and make it about hockey, a good article from the Times about how schools aren't adding hockey programs. It references the growth of lacrosse in comparison.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/spor ... teams.html
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Good article. It will be interesting to see if power 5 schools decide to add hockey or lacrosse programs or if Title XI becomes too much of an obstacle. For Hofstra's sake I hope not too many add men's lacrosse.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

The Shadow wrote:The only colleges that I am aware of that are D3 for the rest of their programs and D1 for men's lacrosse are Hobart and Johns Hopkins. These are both lacrosse programs that have been established long before the current NCAA designations for divisions was established. I believe that JHU is D1 for women's lacrosse also since HU recently had a game with them. By the way, I also believe that NYIT is D1 in baseball, so the switch for the NYIT men's lacrosse team would become more complicated if you can only have one division 1 program.
Another strange school is Bellarmine which is D-II as well in all sports but Lacrosse.

The way I look at Bonnies joining D-1 is either the A-10 Conference takes the Lacrosse banner from the CAA and the four CAA schools join the A-10 schools in an 8 team conference, or the A-10 schools just join the CAA. Fairfield will eventually join the MAAC, I believe the reason they have not yet is probably a scholarship issue.

It's really a perfect association, as UMass has a strong tradition with the CAA schools, and Richmond is already a strong program. St. Joe's is weak, but St. Bonaventure will have a decent talent pool to draw from in upstate NY. St. Bonaventure is also a perfect fit for the MAAC and a good fit for the NEC, but I find it hard to believe four A-10 schools would want to play in different conferences when they can just form a league under the A-10 banner, or join the CAA.

Love those Retros, tomorrow should be an exciting game, the Johnnies will bring a lot of pressure. If we execute like we did in Chapel Hill, it could be a massacre.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

On the subject of Big 5 conferences and Title IX and all that, one interesting thing I found out recently, and while it never really occurred to me, it probably should have. I was out in Detroit, and was able to catch a Michigan-Penn State men's hockey game at Yost Arena, which is one of the great setting in college sports. I walked around and realized that all of the awards, trophies, etc. were geared towards the men's program. I looked it up, and Michigan doesn't have a women's hockey team. They have a variety of other sports, but not one of the ones they are most known for. Penn State is a start-up program, having gone varsity only a few years ago, and went on to win the Big 10 championship over Wisconsin. Penn State went and added women's hockey as well, although they had some serious financial backing.