Men's Lax 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Men's Lax 2017

Post by Jojogunne »

PC's goalie and FO man are among the country's best, but the team is prone to turnovers. With the weather being what it is, this could be a close game.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

We're four minutes in and Byrne has 3 goals...he is singehandedly tearing them up. Concannon with some nice kick saves.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Kris Clarke is back, and we've won all 4 faceoffs of the game so far.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Tied 3-3, we've had some really sloppy turnovers.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Providence just tied the game on a man-down goal. Unacceptable.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

6-3 Hofstra at half, both defenses have really locked down. Need to take better advantage of man-up than we have today.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

We're up 11-9 with 4:30 left but Providence has scored four straight in the 4th. Offense has just made horrible, rushed decisions when they should be picking their spots.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

... and here's the typical 4th quarter meltdown we're all too familiar with. It seems like Jack Concannon is the only player we have in the field. He's basically standing in his head in the net, and the rest of the team is carelessly giving the ball away. We have no answer at the x either after Providence put in a different face off guy. We were dominating 8-1 at one point in the first quarter, and ended up losing the faceoff battle 13-11.Hard to blame Clarke though, since this is his first game all season.
Last edited by ProudofPride on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Pride hold on to win 11-10 after having an 11-5 lead through three. Couldn't win faceoffs and the offense was just bad today, mistakes all over the place, very sloppy. The only reason we won was an amazing performance by Concannon, 19 saves as PC had 12 more shots on goal than us. The weather had something to do with it but the team was not as sharp as they've been previously, kept rushing clears and made some bad passes. Concannon is one of the best goalies in the country, the team would've been clobbered if not for him today.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Pretty much did everything we could to lose at the end there, but it ended up being a nice gut-check win.
If I remember what I read correctly, I think this is HU's best start in about 30 years, at 6-0
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We'll take it...it's a win...clearly we let down with a big lead but Concannon is a stud and he would not let us lose...Great to see this program at 6-0!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Seth Tierney said 17 players were sick this week and had to miss practice due to the norovirus. That's a nasty virus, in many instances it's worse than the flu. He also said for 2 practices this week the team did not have a goalie due to this. In that case, even more credit to the team for pulling out a win since they practice at full strength. And that's even more incredible for Concannon to basically be a brick wall despite not being able to practice.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wow that helps explain some of the issues with this game...talk about a gut check!
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

The bench looked REALLY short today. I'd imagine a lot of guys didn't dress. They were in a position to lock down this game, and made way too many just inexcusable mental mistakes. The turnover in front of the PC bench right at the end by the defender trying to clear the ball gave me flashbacks to the CAA championship game a few years ago that they lost in OT.

They couldn't find a club team goalie to stand there and face shots in practice?? J.P. didn't want to step in?
garyg

Post by garyg »

Not to take anything away from the fine start of this years team but Newsday has it's HS Lacrosse preview today and of their top players to watch not one will be attending Hofstra...I realize there are recruits elsewhere, some HS sleepers may be present on Long Island, and some of these guys end up transferring back to area but still NOT ONE!
hc57

Post by hc57 »

Typical of Newsday...check out Dominic Pryor, midfielder from Ward Melville. One of the
best middies on LI. Next year's (Sept 2017) recruiting class will be very strong, albeit, more
of a national flavor with respect to each recruits hometown. Several, three to be exact,
Canadian offensive players will also be in the freshman group. Let's face it, LI kids don't all
like to stay home.
hc57
garyg

Post by garyg »

Do we have any guys sitting out this season that will be available next season??
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Sophomore defenseman Jonathan Warg, highly touted freshman Riley Forte (from Dix Hills, Gary!) and senior Trevor Kupecky are out for the entire season, I don't know if they're redshirting.

In terms of LI guys we have a good number in our freshman class--I don't follow HS so I don't know how "elite" they are or are perceived to be--and some of our best players in the last 5 years have been sought-after recruits from the island, like Llinares and Concannon. I agree it does hurt to watch talented LI guys like Hatzipetrakos and Kearns light it up for Providence, but some guys just want to go away for school, and we also don't know how scholarship money shakes out.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Sounds like between everyone we have returning for next season and the freshman class for next season we are well positioned for the future....a lot of talent!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

RollPride15 wrote:Sophomore defenseman Jonathan Warg, highly touted freshman Riley Forte (from Dix Hills, Gary!) and senior Trevor Kupecky are out for the entire season, I don't know if they're redshirting.

In terms of LI guys we have a good number in our freshman class--I don't follow HS so I don't know how "elite" they are or are perceived to be--and some of our best players in the last 5 years have been sought-after recruits from the island, like Llinares and Concannon. I agree it does hurt to watch talented LI guys like Hatzipetrakos and Kearns light it up for Providence, but some guys just want to go away for school, and we also don't know how scholarship money shakes out.
LSM Liam Blohm is wearing a leg brace and may be out for the year.

As for recruits, M Dominic Pryor of Ward Melville is an all-LI-caliber player and might start next year, and D Michael Peco of Massapequa will compete for playing time.