Men's Lax 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: Men's Lax 2017

Post by HUSID80 »

Halftime and were tied at 6 against UNC. Very even game stat wise, Concannon with some nice saves...would be great to pull this one out!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Huge win!!! I think it's now safe to say that this team is legit, and they should be ranked in the polls that come out this week. Princeton is ranked in both, while we're only receiving votes despite being undefeated and being the tigers.

https://twitter.com/NCAA_Lax/status/840677000578756608
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Showed a lot of poise down the stretch. Defense and Concannon were awesome! We better be ranked, and ranked prominently now! Congratulations to coach Tierney and the whole team!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Awesome win! Knocking off the defending champs!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I see us as #12. Anything less is an insult to this team. Also this is our signature win
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Tough tests coming up: Providence is pretty good and so is Stony Brook.

Absolutely fantastic win, but let's not get cocky. The worse ranked we are the better.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Great win. I hope this continues. Need to string together more and more.. Wanna dance in the tourney.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Providence Scouting Report:

They're 4-2 but lost to an undefeated BU team in double overtime, could very easily be 5-1. They're still hunting for a signature win but have done a good job beating out the low-mid level teams. They're really young but have improved a lot over last year and I think they'll be a force by the end of this year. Their two Long Island sophomores, Kearns and Hatzipetrakos, have combined for 44 points so far, but then their offensive personnel falls off because so much of their talent are freshmen.

They're really strong at faceoff and goal, with a sophomore who wins about 60% of the time (about Clarke numbers) and a goalie who saves 60% (Concannon numbers). It might be a long day at the X.

Last year we committed an unforgivable 5 penalties in the first quarter and allowed 3 man-up goals--never really recovered.

Long story short, they have a similar playstyle to your standard Tierney team: strong in goal and at X, stout defense, tries to control possessions, doesn't have an offense that can knock your socks off. Hofstra needs to put up a lead early or it will be difficult to control game tempo.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Cleveland State game has been cancelled for Tuesday Night
Polito

Post by Polito »

BIG W - signature-level victory on this season - can not slip up with remaining games. Handle biz, and a big time conf finale on tap with Towson...

Good - hopefully they don't even bother to reschedule - HU has no business playing a team like Cleveland St approaching mid-season (who the hell knew they even had a lax team?? ridiculous game for a program that should have top 10-15 aspirations every single year) - Monmouth and NJIT are MORE than enough scrub teams for one season.

Anyway, I wanted to make sure to come and offer congrats, no denying this was a SUPER win - but 1 slip against any weak remaining opponent and it goes for not - must STAY strong, and that's where ST needs to show out - actually finishing is LONG overdue.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I'm still surprised UNC didn't come out on fire. I expected them to want revenge after we embarrassed them last year. Out of curiousity, anyone know why the game was in Chapel Hill? It should've been at Stuart Stadium since we also played at UNC last year.

Btw, 2 reputable pollsters that put their updated rankings on twitter have us top-10, one at 3 and one at 8. Realistically we're probably in the 10-15 range, I agree with Stu's #12.
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/841060183862333442
https://twitter.com/LaxFilmRoom/status/ ... 5536354305
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Not ranked to #7 and receiving a first place vote. That has to be one of the biggest jumps I've ever heard of in any sport. I just hope the team doesn't let it get to their heads, they need to keep playing well or they'll fall pretty quickly like they did last year.
IMG_4844.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

That's an incredible move...but just goes to show these rankings don't mean that much early in the season...More important is how we FINISH!
Flying Dutchmen

stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Well I predicted #12 so I wasn't far off. I think that's about right
Flying Dutchmen

I watched the playback of the game last night, the first time I got to see the team play a full game this season. Really great win, we were so technically sound. Our middies are better than I thought too. While I thought UNC had more raw size and talent than us, It didn't seem significant while watching the game, which has been more evident in past teams.

Byrne is a star, I imagine he will be first-team CAA, a shot at All-American if he can keep the scoring pace. Concannon is so legit in net as well, I'm really starting to get excited about this team. Tierney has had a ton of hype being the coaches son and I think he's lived up to it so far. I thought he was doing some good work at "X", he made some freshman mistakes, but he more than held his own against the defending national champs. Tierney's game reminds me of the Notre Dame Kavanagh, who was a 4 time All-American.

We need Clarke to come back for faceoffs, we have Gallagher, a true freshman in there now, who's doing an admirable job, but faceoffs were the one thing that could have cost us the game on Saturday, and will cost us against the better teams as we move forward. AWESOME start to the season, can't wait for the Providence game.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

This team is different in that there is a nice balance of upperclassmen leadership and talented freshmen and Sophs Byrne and Clarke and Concannon are the team leaders also Concannon has become a shutdown goalie who can take over a game similar to the wAy mike Spruyt was back in the day. This team now has an identity similar to some of the teams John danowski had
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

This article has a few video highlights from the UNC game above the Hofstra headline:

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/q ... tate/48724

Quint Kessenich, a former All-American goalie, says Jack Concannon is the best goalie he has seen this year.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Big game tomorrow coming off that NC win...take care of business and we could have a memorable year...we could use it!
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Said this before but Providence is no joke--13th in RPI and while the season is still early, RPI is no longer totally meaningless. KRACH, which I find to be the most useful ratings metric out there, has Providence at 22nd. They're a dangerous, fringe top-20 team and in today's lax landscape that means they can beat anyone.