Men's Lax 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: Men's Lax 2017

Post by HUSID80 »

How does the clock show one second for more than 30 seconds....I'm beginning to believe that we are cursed. All that work to tie the game and then lose like that! The ULTIMATE HEARTBREAKER....I'm sick!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Amazing comeback, but truth is we never should've been in that kind of deficit. Have to pull a full 60 minutes to win, although i"m surprised it was the final 30 we actually played instead of the first. And I'm pretty sure we were man-up for the final 30 seconds of the game, and had possession up until there being a few seconds left. Even more sickening.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Highly suggest avoiding social media for the next few days if anyone wants to avoid watching the heartbreak. Deadspin and SportCenter have both tweeted out the video, along with several other notable sports pages. May want to avoid espn as well, since it should be a top 10 play, if not even something that's featured separately.

10-0 and #2 in the nation just a few games ago, and now very likely not even in the NCAA tournament for the 6th straight year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hey, what's everyone doing on 5/6?? We getting together or what??

LOL...This has nothing to do with being cursed, and you all know it. Curious if some of you finally have the kahunas to admit it yet.

Of all the failures, disappointments, letdowns, and epic choke jobs ST has lead, this is his best performance yet. I mean you have to really work to be this good at sucking this bad for so long.

POY. ROY. Last undefeated team. Top 10 ranking. Top 2 ranking. One of top goalies in D1. I mean, this tank job is elite level stuff. I have to admit, I am truly impressed.

There is an F word I am thinking of...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:Hey, what's everyone doing on 5/6?? We getting together or what??

LOL...This has nothing to do with being cursed, and you all know it. Curious if some of you finally have the kahunas to admit it yet.

Of all the failures, disappointments, letdowns, and epic choke jobs ST has lead, this is his best performance yet. I mean you have to really work to be this good at sucking this bad for so long.

POY. ROY. Last undefeated team. Top 10 ranking. Top 2 ranking. One of top goalies in D1. I mean, this tank job is elite level stuff. I have to admit, I am truly impressed.

There is an F word I am thinking of...
Geez, I must have missed Seth in the goal when that haymaker went it...come on Polito, you're better than this!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

John that goal was scored from 35 yards out. No way should that goal have been scored This season in all of lacrosseit has been a season of runs. Here is my problem. This team all season has had 2 nd half letdowns especially inthe 4th quarter We dodge the bullet the first ten games. We also just beat teams we should have blown out. The writing was on the wall. But some refused to see it Realty is we finished the season 1-3 with 2 bad losses on Umass and Drexel. No excuses. We folded like a cheap tent
Polito

Post by Polito »

Nice but all is lost if we don't win the CAA.
>>> 5/6 <<< Like I said from the start, I'll be right here at the end when it actually matters. Seems quiet though... where's the team?

Hey, did anyone ever put together an organized collection of all the excuses, lame duck reasoning, blind faith, false hope, and irrational explanation on these boards for ST's program over the years? I think we started a list once, but not sure if it was ever categorized and stored.

Copy and paste really is a great time saver.

Best team in the league with the best players. ST legacy baby! Official Motto: See ya next year!! Gotta be the one right?!? :lol:

Hey, I really think they can do it guys - I think they can go for 9 straight years - that's the stuff dynasties are made of.

Rule of thumb folks: when you start blaming the players and exonerating the leader, the war is over. You should quit and go home before any other innocent lives are wasted.
Captain

Post by Captain »

This morning I feel like I have a post game hangover. I really feel bad for the team, especially Concannon. I don't think we will ever see a game end like that again. Had Hofstra won that crazy game, we the fans would be out of our minds with excitement. Now we are merely out of our minds.
Bitter disappointing end for the players. Thanks for a lot of excitement this season. Sorry for the few seniors who had to go out this way. Lots of returnees and incoming talent so in the words of the Brooklyn Dodgers very very sadly it's "wait until next year!"
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Our best player graduates Josh Bryne gone and has to be replaced
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:UNC wins beats #1 Cuse 16-15
We now need winner of Notre Dame/Dulke to beat UNC Sunday so that Tar Heels finish 7-8 and ineligible for NCAAs. If not that takes away a spot since they would surely get in at 8-7 with three top 10 wins and a high SOS. We also need Rutgers to lose to Ohio State tomorrow to preserve another at-large spot.
With Denver's loss yesterday it looks likely even Rutgers won't get an at large bid. They were even ranked #1 during this season.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Byrne is a special talent that doesn't appear in every recruiting class. I was foreseeing a great comeback win and the start of a run that would show the country what a talent he is.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Tournament field is way too small given the increase in the # of schools now playing lacrosse and playing it well. In the recent past, our record and wins would have gotten us in...no more.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Quarterfinal tickets are still available, should be a great day despite HU not being in it. It could legitimately end up with John Danowski, Joe Amplo, and Bill Tierney all coaching at Hofstra that day. Lots of HU connections, plus Seth's uncle.
I wonder why the NCAA didn't feed Syracuse and Albany's portions of the bracket to Hofstra instead of Delaware, it makes way more sense to have the teams from New York actually playing in New York.

http://gohofstra.com/news/2017/5/8/gene ... e-now.aspx
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I have avoided the boards for a few days after Thursday's heartbreaker. The bottom line in Division 1 lacrosse is there isn't much margin between the penthouse and the outhouse and that could be no more true than with Hofstra in 2017. Unfortunately we picked a bad season to go 11-3 as other years that would be good enough for an at large, but with many of our opponents having bad years and so few bids to go around that became even less the last couple weekends, there was no margin for error. Even had we won the Drexel game and been 12-0 before falling to Towson and UMass not sure we would have gotten in. As frustrating as another season with no NCAAs is, our coaching staff still is still rock solid in my book. The NCAAs haven't been there the last few years, but the landscape has changed and they have positioned us to withstand the storm and with some new talent coming in hopefully can rise again next year and have better results in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The problem with men's lax and the selection committee is that the ACC is not a true conference. With only 5 teams they don't have a AQ. That is by design. They continually get 4 at large which freezes conferences like the CAA from getting multiple bids. Heck the women's side and the CAA this year got 3 bids. Something has to change
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:The problem with men's lax and the selection committee is that the ACC is not a true conference. With only 5 teams they don't have a AQ. That is by design. They continually get 4 at large which freezes conferences like the CAA from getting multiple bids. Heck the women's side and the CAA this year got 3 bids. Something has to change
Agreed Stu that the NCAA needs to expand the field. 24 would be ideal but even 20 would make a big difference and at least open up three more at large bids. With St. Bonaventure starting program soon that will mark 72 D1 schools so the time is right for expanded tourney. Unfortunately can never count on the NCAA to do the right thing though.
Polito

Post by Polito »

This thread has become just plain SAD.

You guys are really killing me... where is the anger?? where is the fight for this program to produce championships and NCAA bids?? where is your refusal to accept this continued failure??

Unreal the level of acceptance. Guess you guys have been beaten into submission. As frustrating as it is, I can't really blame ya. Year after year of the same BS from ST and his crew, was bound to happen.

I get supporting HU connections, but real hard for me to get pumped about other coaches and programs when HU's is in the sh!tter.

Would really like to see everyone band together and stop supporting this nonsense.

Sigh...3 years... just 3 more years - the countdown is on for me. Unfortunately ST will continue to put the capper on his complete destruction of the program in that time. And I only hope and pray he exits with his son.

Then maybe HU finally move the dial forward and bring in Joe Amplo to save this program, and return to true national prominence. My only fear is by that time, will it be too late??

Bigger fear: DOES ANYONE REALLY CARE????
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I think we all realize that we have three years before anything is going to happen on that front, so getting upset now isn't really going to do much.

Part of me is still (mostly) mad that they let up a shot from 150 feet away to lose. And you can say what you want about coaching, that's 1000000% on the player. AND it's not like he didn't go and get himself a good goalie- he had arguably one of the best in the country. But at the end, when they needed him, he didn't get it done.

ANNDDDDD while you probably don't want to hear it, while yes, they are losing Josh Byrne, you're getting back Tierney, Kavanaugh, Yanes, Alderman, Moeser, Concannon, and most of the D. This team should actually be better, if anything, which is hard to do when your're 11-2, but they should make that jump.

I want to see the SOS upped, but who knows what agreements they already had in place.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I hear ya HH... it's sad and frustrating what has become of things the last several years.

Collapsing at the end has become the programs MO. It's not once. It's YEARS. That is not players. That is coach leadership. And it blows. And there should've been change years ago.

3 yrs. Only thing even keeping my interest in the program. If there was no chance at new direction I wouldn't even bother anymore quite frankly. Over it, as is everyone else judging by the declining attendance. That is how bad it is, and has been, under ST. Done a poor job, all there is to it.

Hope he gets something worthwhile done before his son graduates. But after that this program needs CHANGE.

Joe Amplo every day and twice on Sunday. Get that rising star in here ASAP. He should be on campus the day after ST announces. Hell, get him in the audience DURING it, and have him take the podium right after!!!!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I don't think we see Joe Amplo. Marquette is his baby. He started that program from scratch and Marauette will pay him handsomely for it. How much would Hofstra have to pay him to move back to the Island. 300k 400k. Rabinowitz will not shell out that kind of money