Men's Lax 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Men's Lax 2017

Post by Jojogunne »

Wow, somebody know his lacrosse moves. I enjoyed that piece just for the video highlights.

I know Fairfield has won the last three games vs. Hofstra, but I think that's about to change. Hofstra is sharing the ball more this year and looking for the open man, rather than forcing unassisted shots. Plus our defense, especially in goal, has improved.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

What a great writeup, the most thoughtful in-depth coverage of HU lax I've ever read. This writer knows what he's talking about.

He's right that passing is what opens up our offense, we don't have a whole lot of blazing footspeed but everyone (except maybe Yanes, who is a deadly close-net finisher but hasn't shown much else yet) can nail a pass in traffic for easy looks on the doorstep. Byrne, in addition to being big and having a cannon, has a deft touch on passes and can't be doubled without the defense giving up a good look for someone else. That sounds intuitive, but you watch a lot of teams where players can't find, or get the ball to, the open man.

The midfield attack has been better than in years past because all three of Kav, Moeser and Alderman can shoot and distribute with equal comfort. There's constant pressure, and they take time to make sure they're getting good shots.

It's been fun to watch, and it's the strongest Hof offense I've seen in my 6 years of following the team by a long shot. I don't think the defense has been quite as tough--Concannon has bailed them out a good deal--but they're getting better and they have prolonged moments where it really clicks and the slides are perfect.

One has to wonder if coaching with Danowski over the summer reinvigorated Tierney's offensive gameplan. It felt like Pride offenses often circled endlessly on the perimeter, waiting for a 1-1 breakdown that didn't always come, but now they're attacking inside with passes constantly. The pace is still Tierney-style, but the boldness reflects either new thinking or total confidence in personnel.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

RollPride15 wrote:What a great writeup, the most thoughtful in-depth coverage of HU lax I've ever read. This writer knows what he's talking about.

He's right that passing is what opens up our offense, we don't have a whole lot of blazing footspeed but everyone (except maybe Yanes, who is a deadly close-net finisher but hasn't shown much else yet) can nail a pass in traffic for easy looks on the doorstep. Byrne, in addition to being big and having a cannon, has a deft touch on passes and can't be doubled without the defense giving up a good look for someone else. That sounds intuitive, but you watch a lot of teams where players can't find, or get the ball to, the open man.

The midfield attack has been better than in years past because all three of Kav, Moeser and Alderman can shoot and distribute with equal comfort. There's constant pressure, and they take time to make sure they're getting good shots.

It's been fun to watch, and it's the strongest Hof offense I've seen in my 6 years of following the team by a long shot. I don't think the defense has been quite as tough--Concannon has bailed them out a good deal--but they're getting better and they have prolonged moments where it really clicks and the slides are perfect.

One has to wonder if coaching with Danowski over the summer reinvigorated Tierney's offensive gameplan. It felt like Pride offenses often circled endlessly on the perimeter, waiting for a 1-1 breakdown that didn't always come, but now they're attacking inside with passes constantly. The pace is still Tierney-style, but the boldness reflects either new thinking or total confidence in personnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

http://www.hofstra.edu/admission/huworldchanger.html

Awesome feature on tierney posted on Hofstra.edu at link above earlier today.

HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

RollPride15 wrote: I don't think the defense has been quite as tough--Concannon has bailed them out a good deal--but they're getting better and they have prolonged moments where it really clicks and the slides are perfect.

The defense just needs to win more ground balls and do a better job with the clears. It's more than what the numbers say- when it gets late and you can't make mistakes that let a team back in, you need to need to win those 50/50 balls an be smart about getting the ball out.

For the offense, my only criticism is that they get comfortable with what they do in the beginning, teams adjust, and then they stop scoring and just try to hold onto the ball. I''m all for stalling, but not at the expense of scoring a few goals occasionally. Look at the goals by period (my apologies if it doesn't come across right)

Goals by period 1 2 3 4 Total
HOFSTRA........ 25 30 22 17 94
Opponents .......16 11 13 24 64

The fourth quarter, not only do they give up goals, but they can't score them either.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

A few other numbers:

Shots by period 1 2 3 4 Total
HOFSTRA..... 70 75 65 57 267
Opponents...... 68 69 56 83 276

SOG by period 1 2 3 4 Total
HOFSTRA....... 47 47 46 28 168
Opponents...... 43 39 36 45 163
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Tierney coaches a little different than Dino. With Dino it's pedal to the metal a full 60 minutes. Dino also used more players so they weren't gassed by the 4th quarter. Seth just needs to trust his second midfield a little more. Give his first line muddies a blow during the second and third periods so they have something left in the tank in the 4 th quarter
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Not an April fools joke. #1Notre Dame lost to Cuse today. Time to climb in the polls. Now let's take care of business tonite
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

6-2 lead at halftime, despite getting destroyed at the x, only winning 2 of 10. If we start winning more faceoffs, we could have an even more comfortable lead to be able to withstand the inevitable 4th quart meltdown.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Nice win today.. Hope this win helps solidify us in the LaxPower rankings.. Going into the game at 17, they don't have much faith in us.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Hofstra we are much higher for some reason laxpower has their rankings based on alphabetical order
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

When you're on that page go to RPI instead--the Laxpower poll has been retired to my understanding.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

We were 17th in LaxPower rankings going into today's game. Screenshot attached below. The rankings are partially based on score differential, so we haven't been doing ourselves any favors the last few games.

Big win tonight, Fairfield has been a thorn in our side, but we were in control all night, despite losing the faceoff battle.

9-0!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I realize the Cleveland State game wouldn't mean much, but 10-0 sure would be pretty right now.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HofstraHockey wrote:I realize the Cleveland State game wouldn't mean much, but 10-0 sure would be pretty right now.
We are better off that this game wasn't played since would only hurt our SOS and RPI

Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Game should've never even been scheduled. Ridiculous.

At any rate, not going to take away from what's happening right now:

9 and 0

This was a big road W IMO, esp to start conf play. Not saying anything to detract or jinx. Just saying BIG kudos for continuing undefeated. :shock: 8-)
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We remain at number 3 in the Inside Lacrosse Media Poll. Our RPI somehow went down, we were 4 last week and we're 6 this week. If playing Fairfield brought us down despite a win, imagine what playing Cleveland State would've done.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Just keep winning. Who cares what our RPI is....We need to win the CAA and go on from there...we have the team and the chemistry to do it this year.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

ProudofPride wrote:We remain at number 3 in the Inside Lacrosse Media Poll. Our RPI somehow went down, we were 4 last week and we're 6 this week. If playing Fairfield brought us down despite a win, imagine what playing Cleveland State would've done.
Playing CAA games will lower our RPI.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree HUSID, all about winning.

Frankly, there's only one thing that matters, and that is winning on 5/6. Undefeated or not, that is it, PERIOD.