Men's Lax 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: Men's Lax 2017

Post by HUSID80 »

If Metzger wanted him they would find the money, but it's not going to happen. From my perspective it's not our coach that's the problem, the NCAA field needs to be expanded. Right now with the increased number of D 1 schools playing lacrosse deserving teams are not getting in to the tournament. This year, all considered we should have gotten an at large, ten years ago we do, not now.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

HofstraHockey wrote:I think we all realize that we have three years before anything is going to happen on that front, so getting upset now isn't really going to do much.

Part of me is still (mostly) mad that they let up a shot from 150 feet away to lose. And you can say what you want about coaching, that's 1000000% on the player. AND it's not like he didn't go and get himself a good goalie- he had arguably one of the best in the country. But at the end, when they needed him, he didn't get it done.

ANNDDDDD while you probably don't want to hear it, while yes, they are losing Josh Byrne, you're getting back Tierney, Kavanaugh, Yanes, Alderman, Moeser, Concannon, and most of the D. This team should actually be better, if anything, which is hard to do when your're 11-2, but they should make that jump.

I want to see the SOS upped, but who knows what agreements they already had in place.
I agree, we should be solid next year. With the SOS, I thought the last two years have been better, but some of the teams just did not live up to their billing, G'Town and Princeton should be better, SB was down a bit, and St. John's has become a dumpster fire, but I'd like to see a Pat league team or two, maybe get Binghamton on the schedule instead of NJIT.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

HUSID80 wrote:If Metzger wanted him they would find the money, but it's not going to happen. From my perspective it's not our coach that's the problem, the NCAA field needs to be expanded. Right now with the increased number of D 1 schools playing lacrosse deserving teams are not getting in to the tournament. This year, all considered we should have gotten an at large, ten years ago we do, not now.
I don't see Amplo stepping on Tierney's toes anyway, they're friends, and are coaching on Team USA together with Danowski.

Obviously the argument is get it done in the CAA Tournament. There's no denying the choke job in that area for quite some time now. Tierney has to evolve, this was his best team, and his system didn't work when all the chips were on the table.

I keep going back and forth on Tierney, I've felt what Polito has been screaming about for a long time as well, and I don't think he's wrong to be honest. But when I watch the team play, I do get the feeling we're playing to the top of our ability. The UNC win was an absolute perfect game, I went to the SB game, we looked awesome for long stretches. What is the limitation of this program? It's never made the Final Four. Tierney has done a really solid job recruiting Long Island, I can't remember Danowski recruiting the CHSAA this well, he's gotten recruits from all over the country and Canada. Do we end up breaking through by just staying the course, is there a glass ceiling on this program that can't be broken, is there a coach out there that can get the right guys to stay at home to get us into the Final Four? I honestly have no strong feeling either way anymore, I know teams make their own fate, but sometimes I just feel like if there is "Hofstra" on your jersey, there's a black cloud following you onto the court/field.

I think everyone who follows Hofstra Athletics long enough becomes a fatalist.

But damn, 11-3 was good, a perfect OOC. The fact we didn't even have an at-large shot shows the changing of the landscape, and the belligerence of the NCAA selection committee. Honestly, why does Johns Hopkins get their ass kissed every year, they suck. UNC wasn't worthy either. Surprise, surprise, they both got wiped last weekend. I think it should be a 20 team field if the committee will always give reverence to the traditional powers, and auto bids to the Northeast, MAAC, and SoCon.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

It's. Not going to get any easier the larger schools especially those with football teams will be adding lacrosse. Both men's and women's they have a football field that can easily double for a lax field in the spring. The NCAA sees dollars signs so do t expect Hofstra to get any breaks when it comes to the selection committee. They could expand the field to 24 and they will find a way to exclude us from an at large bid. There is no margin of error for us. Win the CAA tourney or go home
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Oir depury director of athletics was named to the NCAA men's lacrosse committee, starting this September through 2021. Could only be a positive that there's a Hofstra guy on the selection committee, right? http://www.gohofstra.com/news/2017/5/18 ... ittee.aspx
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Not really. He would have to recuse himself from any discussion of or vote on an at-large bid for Hofstra.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Jojogunne wrote:Not really. He would have to recuse himself from any discussion of or vote on an at-large bid for Hofstra.
Surrreeeee, tell that to George Mason.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Well one thing is for certain: this program got its ass PASSED a long time ago by the growing game.

And that is not all ST's fault - the majority of the issue falls squarely on the admin, who have done absolutely ZIP to evolve with the landscape.

In my mind mens hoops and mens lax are THE 2 flagship sports of HU. Nothing else is even close. Therefore, those 2 programs should be pumped full of whatever equates to a lot of $ for HU.

All I see in lax is this program getting left in the dust, and no one seemingly giving a rip about it. Sorry, but I'm not supporting that.

The constant choking, the constant failing to meet fair expectations, that is ALL on ST. The answer is not that the field needs to be expanded - yes, obviously it does - but that is not the excuse for this programs bed sh!tting every year. The answer is ST needs to WIN THE DAMN CONFERENCE.

Flagship sport. Hotbed. Talent. Yeah, you are expected to WIN. Praying for an at-large every yr even if they expand is ridiculous. I swear I wish some folks were my past bosses - so easily excused away. No demands. No expectations. ROI and $ be damned! Just hoping for the best! LOL employee dream right there. "Hey, how'd we do this year Bob? Well, gosh, we started out great! But then everything derailed and we botched the whole project in the end. Hm, wow, well shucks, it happens! What are ya gonna do, right?! Moving on! Hey, Bob, how about an extension?!" :roll:

And stop with the marquette nonsense. That's not his 'baby'. That's the place that gave him a HC shot. He is a young rising coaching stud, he ain't staying in the frozen tundra of wisconsin. HU has 3 yrs to figure it out. GET HIM HERE, and PAY HIM TOP LAX DOLLAR.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Amplo signing a contract extension for another 5 years. They will pay him well in Milwaukee. 400K plus all the beer he can drink
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Anyone going today? Should be a great atmosphere and it's perfect lacrosse weather.

Side note, Notre Dame graduated their seniors on campus last night. It's always interesting to see how other schools handle that, I guess I'm just used to Hofstra having a separate ceremony for the softball seniors once their back on campus, but it's cool that whatever officials were needed made the trip from South Bend. Makes sense, since I'm sure a bunch of the players are from this area anyway, and their families will probably be at the game, saves them from making the trip to Indiana. They got the location wrong it's actually Monroe Hall, not Fortunoff Hall, but still cool. Nice of Hofstra to let them use an academic facility for that. https://twitter.com/NDlacrosse/status/8 ... 3465617410
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Can't stand us not being a part of it.
Polito

Post by Polito »

It's disgusting. How many years now?

Love it at HU, I think that is awesome, and great job by the U to do so. But when only your opponents benefit every year, it is getting OLD. :cry:
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Surprised no one mentioned that Towson upset Syracuse over the weekend. they must be better than we thought.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Towson played an excellent game vs. Syracuse ... led all they way. If they keep mistakes to a minimum and if their face-off guy's hamstring improves, they have the talent to win it all.
CyberSam2

Post by CyberSam2 »

Kevin Crowley, a Hofstra recruit, St Thomas Aquinas , repeats as Florida Dairy Farmers" Mr. Lacrosse following a standout senior
season. The attackman, who this year also earned US Larosse All-American honors, tallied 67 goals and 34 assists for the state
champions. Crowley finished his high school career with 162 goals and 101 assists. Tremendous signing by Hofstra and a player of
this caliber will be noticed by other fine players.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Would love to see some recruiting dominos from this as you allude to - SO key when top recruits help to recruit others - peer to peer recruiting is huge, see it a lot in D1 football and hoops, and often times is more impactful than anything a staff can do.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Josh Byrne is already tearing it up in the majors. 7 goals in his debut the other day earned him MLL Rookie of the Week this week.

Also, take a look at this goal he scored! :shock:
https://twitter.com/LaxSportsNet/status ... 4775875584
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Two of our recruits were named to Newsday's All-LI Team: M Dominic Pryor of Ward Melville and D Danny Ochs of Syosset. Ochs was the only junior to make the first team.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

ProudofPride wrote:Josh Byrne is already tearing it up in the majors. 7 goals in his debut the other day earned him MLL Rookie of the Week this week.

Also, take a look at this goal he scored! :shock:
https://twitter.com/LaxSportsNet/status ... 4775875584
Here are the rest of Josh's goals:

https://www.thebayhawks.com/videos/6131 ... -mll-debut
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

In surprising Division II news, LIU Post has fired two-time NCAA championship-winning coach John Jez after 11 seasons and on Thursday announced Harvard offensive coordinator Eric Wolf as his replacement. Jez compiled a 129-41 record. In addition to back-to-back titles in 2009 and 2010, the Pioneers finished as national runner-up in 2014 and never finished below .500 under Jez's watch.

"It's a sign of the times, I guess," Jez said.