Desure Buie - Torn ACL, Meniscus

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: Desure Buie - Torn ACL, Meniscus

Post by ProudofPride »

Ugh, tough blow. I wish him a speedy recovery. It may still be early enough that he can take a medical redshirt this season.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Definitely . He has played in less than 1/3 of our games. I believe it is 11 or less games.
dutchalum01

Desure Buie - Torn ACL, Meniscus

Post by dutchalum01 »

Unfortunate news - definitely hurts. Only positive is If he took a medical red shirt , he and his Georgetown buddy could play two years together if he were to transfer to Hofstra.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
Last edited by dutchalum01 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Unfortunate news. Hopefully he can heal in time for the start of next season.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yes, definitely bad news for the young man and it hurts our depth at that position considerably. Interesting to see how JAM adjusts as teams will surely look to press us more like Columbia did late in the game.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Too bad - hope for a full recovery.

To date, playing time looked like this:
BB - 32 min
EP - 31 min
DP - 28 min
JWF - 18 min
DB - 15 min

I don't see BB or EP picking up much of DB time. I would expect DP to go up about 5 min per game and JWF to see the biggest change and get close to 28-30 min per game. In the end, I think we'll have 5 guards each getting between 28-32 minutes per game. I know JM may instinctively want to increase BB time, but I just don't want him getting too much time such that there is an increase in time when the ball is in his hands (unless hes ready to shoot).
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Buie brought a lot of intangibles. Good end of game player- clutch free throws, pressure D. Everyone else will have to step up.

ACL surgery rehab is a long process. Hopefully he 'll be focused and use it as an opportunity to come back strong. I wouldn't pencil him in as a starter for next year, but some guys heal faster than others. Speed was a big part of his game - rehab is critical if he wants to regain that explosiveness.

I like the opportunity it presents for JWF.
Polito

Post by Polito »

UGH, this suuuuuucks - hate to hear this for the young man - prayers for a speedy and full recovery DB!!

But this is exactly why you absolutely must have depth - HU is beyond lucky this didn't happen to any of the key guys last year.

This season, IMO, now hinges almost entirely on the shoulders of Deron Powers. This team is desperate for leadership, still hasn't seen either PG rise up and take the position 100% - now there is no choice. He MUST be that player. Hope he is up to the task - there is not a single position or player (not even Rok) that is more important to this club this season.

I agree that this may also mean an increased role for JWF, which I am perfectly fine with. EP has the skill set, but I do not want a true freshmen with that kind of pressure and the dependency of the entire season's success. He has enough already as a starter. Fine with him filling in a few min a game to help at the position, but this really should fall on Powers and then JWF second.

And dutchalum01, you took the thought right out of my head! If I'm Buie, the very next call I make right after the med staff and family is to my BFF Jessie Govan to work on him about transferring.

The silver lining could be that they end up with the chance to play together again for 2 yrs instead of 1. Forget the pipe dream and doubts, let's MAKE IT HAPPEN - Hoyas are going nowhere fast. Let's re-unite the tandem that lead Wings to the National HS Champ game on a D1 court!! Let's- re-unite the inside/out combo that took over NYC and bring HU some CAA titles and NCAA appearances!

Go DB, turn tragedy into triumph young man!
Captain

Post by Captain »

Amen to all the good wishes to Desure.
If indeed Desure will get a redshirt, perhaps the mindset in recruiting is to look for an upperclass transfer be the priority for a point guard rather than a freshman.
Btw is Jalen Ray a point guard or a two guard? I think Verbal Commits lists him as a two, but one of the Virginia basketball circulars asked if he was the best point guard in Virginia.
Watching video he certainly looks at least like a "combo". He drives and looks for his shot a lot more than Desure does. Maybe on his talented High School team they had a truer point. Either way I hope he signs because I like what I have seen of him.
Polito

Post by Polito »

To my knowledge Ray is a combo - he is more in the mold of JWF than Buie. And he is impressive looking, hoping things are set with him.

I think the staff has had the mindset to go after another experienced guard even before the injury. Now I would say it's a definite. I would bet a Juco or 5th yr guard comes in the '17 class.
garyg

Post by garyg »

If Buie heals well and rehab goes well will he be available at the beginning of next season?? Seems like his injuries are pretty severe...
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Did DB have surgery yet? ACL rehab is usually at least 8 months
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

joeg1 wrote:Did DB have surgery yet? ACL rehab is usually at least 8 months
I believe the surgery was last Thursday. Last night he was on crutches at the game.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Word I'd he'll be ready to go next year and get an extra year
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

dutchalum01 wrote:Unfortunate news - definitely hurts. Only positive is If he took a medical red shirt , he and his Georgetown buddy could play two years together if he were to transfer to Hofstra.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
JT III fired. Maybe the time is right.....
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hopefully we now have a shot at Govan
Polito

Post by Polito »

I mean I've been saying this for what, a year and half now, that the G-Town program is going nowhere and he should've left last year - wasting his time getting caught up in the Hoya name.

Now they face a major transition, and likely at least 2 more years of mediocrity before someone can turn them around. That's 4 yrs of nothing for a stud player who would be a STAR here.

Staff and Buie should absolutely recruit the hell out of this kid. If Buie gets an extra year, they'll still have 2 together even if he sits 1. This is a NO-BRAINER to me. Play with your best friend and backcourt mate, auto chemistry, dominate the CAA, assume the Gustys heir role from day 1.

Time to come HOME big fella and put a stamp on your collegiate career and future PRO one.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Polito

Post by Polito »

I caught G-Town and Govan on TV a couple of times this year. Skilled big fella that can play/move in the post and still hit reasonably well from the top of the key - prob not as big of a rebounder as Gustys is, but certainly good enough and a strong all-around game, and that's something HU just doesn't have at the moment in the post.

Obviously wouldn't help next year, but having Buie, JWF, and Pemba, with Govan in the middle and the right stud stretch 4 (<-key), all as upper classmen, could be championship-caliber IMO.

Govan should've transferred last year to HU, and now to me this should still happen asap. It is a SUPER fit all around, teammate chemistry, system/style of play, location, major position of need after next yr, so plenty of starter PT as the featured big... no-brainer. Of course, that's just lil ol me and my rational thinking :D - he has to be willing to leave the 'name' program (which wasn't working out anyway) and sit a year.

Let's Go-van!