Men's Lax 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraPride1

Re: Men's Lax 2017

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:UNC wins beats #1 Cuse 16-15
We now need winner of Notre Dame/Dulke to beat UNC Sunday so that Tar Heels finish 7-8 and ineligible for NCAAs. If not that takes away a spot since they would surely get in at 8-7 with three top 10 wins and a high SOS. We also need Rutgers to lose to Ohio State tomorrow to preserve another at-large spot.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I think an at large bid is out of reach at this point. Even with UNC and Rutgers not getting in you still have at least 6 teams definitely ahead of us.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

That's because the ACC isn't real conference in men's lax. They only have 5 so no auto qualifier. Can actually see 5 at large from the ACC if UNC wins. Amazing that a 7 loss team gets in and a 2 loss team gets the snub
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

stuball888 wrote:That's because the ACC isn't real conference in men's lax. They only have 5 so no auto qualifier. Can actually see 5 at large from the ACC if UNC wins. Amazing that a 7 loss team gets in and a 2 loss team gets the snub

Especially if the 2 loss team that's left out beat UNC... which very well could be the case if we win today and lose in the CAA tournament. Don't ever put it past the NCAA to do something that benefits the Tar Heels
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

ProudofPride wrote:
stuball888 wrote:That's because the ACC isn't real conference in men's lax. They only have 5 so no auto qualifier. Can actually see 5 at large from the ACC if UNC wins. Amazing that a 7 loss team gets in and a 2 loss team gets the snub

Especially if the 2 loss team that's left out beat UNC... which very well could be the case if we win today and lose in the CAA tournament. Don't ever put it past the NCAA to do something that benefits the Tar Heels
100% agreed. UNC is the darling of the NCAA (the pace they've moved on the fake classes scandal is laughable) and they'll get the benefit of the doubt over schools like Hofstra whenever possible.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HofstraMathew wrote:I think an at large bid is out of reach at this point. Even with UNC and Rutgers not getting in you still have at least 6 teams definitely ahead of us.
The six at large bids that are locked up already will be Notre Dame, Cuse, Duke and three from the Big Ten (winner gets AQ). That leaves two spots so if Rutgers and UNC lose this weekend we would be right in the mix. If both Rutgers and UNC win though unfortunately I don't see a path to an at-large even if we beat Towson today. It is very frustrating that we are 11-1 and have to sweat out making the NCAAs. They really need to expand to 20 or 24 teams.
garyg

Post by garyg »

With an eye to the future does anyone know if we have anyone sitting out this season that should be eligible for next season ??
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

garyg wrote:With an eye to the future does anyone know if we have anyone sitting out this season that should be eligible for next season ??
We have several out this entire season with injuries, most notable Trevor Kupecky.
http://www.gohofstra.com/news/2017/2/14 ... ?path=mlax
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Sloppy, low scoring game so far which makes me nervous since we tend to do worse in the second half. Tied 4-4 at halftime, we should've been able to score more goals than we did, and defense got a little sloppy at the end giving up the tying goal with 5 seconds left. 7 turnovers for both teams so far, and HU only 10-12 on clears. Kyle Gallagher went 0-3 on face-offs in the first quarter, and was replaced with Clarke who went 4-7 in the second quarter. The whole team has to step it up a notch on both offense and defense if they want to secure home field advantage.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

So Towson can capitalize on being man-up (they're now up 7-4), yet we couldn't earlier in the game. Not the right game for the team to play like crap. We may go the entire 3rd quarter without scoring.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Again, in true Hofstra fashion, we fizzle out.. Just a typical Hofstra season.
CyberSam2

Post by CyberSam2 »

Update on Kevin Crowley (Hofstra commit) of South Florida's St. Thomas Aquinas. The Raiders vying for 2nd state title outlasted
Benjamin 14-11 in a hard fought closely contested game. St. Thomas had five players score in double figures high-lighted by Kevin's six points on four goals and two assists. Kevin led the team total points.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Hofstra wrote:Again, in true Hofstra fashion, we fizzle out.. Just a typical Hofstra season.
How would we know. Couldn't get game on any outlet...sucks on both ends.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Now it comes down to what it always came down to...Win the CAA and you're in.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

UNC just beat Notre Dame to put them at .500 for the season, so our margin for error is virtually 0 now. Must win the next two games or the season is over.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Wow 7 loss team is guaranteed a spot inthe ncaas
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

stuball888 wrote:Wow 7 loss team is guaranteed a spot inthe ncaas
They also are 9 in the RPI, 3 in SOS, have multiple wins verse top teams (I think 4 verse teams that will make the tournament) and the only bad losses they have are us and Richmond. We are worse in just about every category. They clearly have a better resume than us; this isn't some NCAA favoritism that will get them in over us.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yoooo! Where my ST fans at?!?

LOL :lol:

Just joshin ya'll. I mean you HAD to know this was coming right? It's only been a decade of precedent, so hopefully none of you have been duped. Shame on you if you have!

Actually, this is one loss I'm ok with as Towson is a very strong team, it just sucks the timing of the loss and the implications of losing a chance to host - that's big. Alas, Towson is legit. Drexel was shameful, but this one was going to be a toss up no matter what, and would prob be 5-5 if they played 10 times.

HU has had a very good regular season, one of it's best in recent memory, and have earned some deserved respect for it. But as I have said all year, there is only one game that matters for this program at this point under ST, and it's the CAA champ game.

No one should have been even thinking at-large in a season like this, that's ridiculous. HU needs to win this conf, period, after the year they've had. You wanna be a legit top 10 team, then go out there and prove it - you want the bullseye of being a champion, then go get the job done.

Do not even want to think about the 'epic-ness' if they somehow don't win it, or worse, don't even mak... agh, forget it, I won't even say it. You know what I mean. Don't care what the pre-season prediction was, that went out the window with their performance this season - now --> nothing less than the NCAA's is acceptable.

Now is when I really start paying attention. NOW is when it actually matters. NO excuses, and NO moral victories. Just SHOW UP and WIN the CONFERENCE.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

NEED a repeat performance against UMass. Need to save the legs of the top guys. They have worn them into the ground. Doing so again in such short order will be bad.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Just win baby...we need to do whatever it takes to beat UMASS...if we don't do that we go home...simple as that, its single elimination...no second chances.